Question About Firefox Integration

Gloria Lassich

Jan 16, 2023, 4:39:33 PM1/16/23
to Quicksilver
I have the web search  & Firefox bookmarks plugins installed. I saw this quote from an old Lifehacker article: "The web search plug-in in conjunction with the Firefox bookmarks plug-in is nuts - you can use all of your Firefox keyword searches at your Quicksilver fingertips."

I was just wondering, is this still true of Quicksilver, can I still do Firefox keyword searches within Quicksilver? If so, how do I go about calling up that item in Quicksilver? Thanks! 🙂

Rob McBroom

Feb 3, 2023, 5:42:31 PM2/3/23
to Quicksilver

On 16 Jan 2023, at 16:39, Gloria Lassich wrote:

I have the web search & Firefox bookmarks plugins installed. I saw this
quote from an old Lifehacker article

"The web search plug-in in conjunction with the Firefox bookmarks plug-in
is nuts - you can use all of your Firefox keyword searches at your
Quicksilver fingertips."

I was just wondering, is this still true of Quicksilver, can I still do
Firefox keyword searches within Quicksilver? If so, how do I go about
calling up that item in Quicksilver? Thanks! 🙂

The format for Firefox’s data changes now and then so I don’t know the current state. Personally, I’ve been keeping all of my bookmarks and web searches in QS for years because

  1. That’s how I’m going to access them anyway
  2. It doesn’t matter which browser I use or if I switch browsers, etc. (I’ve actually been using Browser Fairy, which I highly recommend.)

FYI, for bookmarks I just have an HTML file that I update by hand. It’s just a list of links like this:

Then just add a custom File & Folder Scanner catalog entry with these properties:

  • The path to your HTML file
  • Include contents: HTML Links
  • Omit source item

--