How do I tell Quicksilver to ignore an external hard drive?

Ward Clark

Jan 1, 2019, 1:31:23 PM1/1/19
to Quicksilver
Every morning at 5:00 am, SuperDuper! clones my iMac's boot drive to an external hard drive.  That operation is actually a Smart Update, which simply applies the changes from the last 24 hours.

I'd like Quicksilver's cataloging to ignore this external backup drive.  I can't find a configuration option like Time Machine's Exclude.

-- Ward

Tim Lawson

Jan 1, 2019, 1:40:03 PM1/1/19
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Open up QS prefs, click on the 'Catalog' button in the toolbar, then 'System' on the left, expand 'Devices, highlight 'Disks' and then click on the 'i' button at the bottom right as indicated in the attached screen shot to reveal a 'drawer' where you can select / deselect what is and is not included in the catalog.

HTH,
Tim.

Rob McBroom

Jan 2, 2019, 9:41:24 AM1/2/19
to Quicksilver

Normally, I don’t think there’s any reason for it to include files from an external drive, so let’s start with what’s getting scanned and why.

Do you have any custom entries that might explain their inclusion? Maybe using the Spotlight plug-in?

Also, is the drive always mounted or only during the backup?

--
Rob McBroom

Rob McBroom

Jan 2, 2019, 9:44:26 AM1/2/19
On 1 Jan 2019, at 13:39, Tim Lawson wrote:

> Open up QS prefs, click on the 'Catalog' button in the toolbar, then
> 'System' on the left, expand 'Devices, highlight 'Disks' and then
> click on the 'i' button at the bottom right as indicated in the
> attached screen shot to reveal a 'drawer' where you can select /
> deselect what is and is not included in the catalog.

That will prevent the disk itself from appearing in the catalog, but if
you tell QS to scan a sub-folder on that disk, it will still include
those files.

--
Rob McBroom

Charles Sligh

Jan 2, 2019, 3:51:13 PM1/2/19
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
This message was meant for someone else. I did not ask the question asked in the sender’s message that is included in your email stream.

Chuck Sligh
Cell: +49 160-9647 5554

Milan Kovac

May 3, 2020, 7:08:09 PM5/3/20
to Quicksilver
I have same problem!

I want to exclude few folders from Quicksilver searches (catalogue) but I can not find how to do it!

Like you said, removing folder from Catalogue will not resolve this issues since Quicksilver will continue to scan items inside this folder if option "scan subfolders" is turned on (and it is).