Safari not being found in catalog after upgrade to Ventura

Mal Function

Dec 27, 2022, 9:02:47 AM12/27/22
to 'roaming_bob' via Quicksilver
I wonder if anyone else has had the experience / can help me understand why it should be, that since upgrading to Ventura, Quicksilver is not finding Safari in my /Applications folder?  It's definitely there!  I've quit Quicksilver, deleted my Catalog.plist file and relaunched QS but to no avail.  Really weird.  It's only finding Safari.app at System/Volumes/Preboot... - see screen shot below.

Oh, and btw, QS seem not to have recreated a Calalog.plist file in ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver

2022-12-27_12-58-17.jpg

Nathan Henrie

Dec 28, 2022, 10:43:47 AM12/28/22
to Mal Function, Nathan Henrie
Possibly some relevant information here: <https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/issues/2932>

Nate

Rob McBroom

Jan 4, 2023, 9:54:35 AM1/4/23

On 27 Dec 2022, at 9:02, Mal Function wrote:

I wonder if anyone else has had the experience / can help me understand why it should be, that since upgrading to Ventura, Quicksilver is not finding Safari in my /Applications folder? It's definitely there! I've quit Quicksilver, deleted my Catalog.plist file and relaunched QS but to no avail. Really weird. It's only finding Safari.app at System/Volumes/Preboot... - see screen shot below.

Looks like they moved Safari again. I didn’t even notice because I disable the default Application catalog presets and use a custom Spotlight entry that adds to the catalog based on

kMDItemContentTypeTree == 'com.apple.application'

I wonder if that should be the default now (or if Apple has an API that will show what the user sees in Finder under “Applications”).

--
Rob McBroom

Mal Function

Jan 4, 2023, 11:03:55 AM1/4/23
to 'roaming_bob' via Quicksilver
Is it quick and easy for you to offer a step-by-step instruction as to how to put that custom Spotlight entry in place for mere mortals, Rob?

Rob McBroom

Jan 5, 2023, 10:27:57 AM1/5/23

On 4 Jan 2023, at 11:03, Mal Function wrote:

Is it quick and easy for you to offer a step-by-step instruction as to how to put that custom Spotlight entry in place for mere mortals, Rob?

Sure!

  1. Install the Spotlight plug-in (might need a relaunch after this)
  2. In the Catalog prefs, click the Add Source… button at the bottom
  3. Choose “Spotlight”
  4. Put kMDItemContentTypeTree == 'com.apple.application' as the query
  5. Check Ignore Removable Disks
  6. Give it a name

I would also disable all the presets under Applications except “Running Applications & Processes”.

--
Rob McBroom

Mal Function

Jan 5, 2023, 12:53:30 PM1/5/23
to 'roaming_bob' via Quicksilver
Many thanks, Rob.  As expected, it works like a charm :-)

Happy new year to you and everyone else here, btw.