Quicksilver randomly stops working Calalina 10.15.7

Jason Bishop

Nov 18, 2020, 8:09:52 PM11/18/20
to Quicksilver
Hello, Quicksilver team,

I can't live without this plugin since 2009!

However, I've had a fairly consistent issue since upgrading to Catalina on my work Macbook Pro 15" from early 2017.

After using it throughout the day, it seems to randomly stop working via the usual shortcut. The only solve I have is to quit the app and restart it, which re-enables it.

Anything I can do to figure out what's happening to it?

Thanks for all the years of this great app.

Best,
Jason

Rob McBroom

Nov 18, 2020, 8:25:18 PM11/18/20
to Quicksilver

On 18 Nov 2020, at 14:37, Jason Bishop wrote:

After using it throughout the day, it seems to randomly stop working via
the usual shortcut. The only solve I have is to quit the app and restart
it, which re-enables it.

Anything I can do to figure out what's happening to it?

The first thing I would do is make sure you’re on the latest version (1.6.1).

If you are, next time it stops responding, you can sample the process to see what it’s hung on. (Select Quicksilver in Activity Monitor and click “Sample” from the gear menu.) Share the file here.

--
Rob McBroom

Jason Bishop

Dec 8, 2020, 3:13:37 PM12/8/20
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Rob,

Here's the Sample process file after Quicksilver stopped working again, as you requested.

My current work machine is on Catalina 10.15.7.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Jason

Sample of Quicksilver.txt

Rob McBroom

Dec 8, 2020, 9:34:39 PM12/8/20
On 8 Dec 2020, at 15:13, Jason Bishop wrote:

> Here's the Sample process file after Quicksilver stopped working
> again, as
> you requested.

Hmmm. From the sample, it doesn’t look like it’s hung. It’s just
sitting there waiting for something to do. I took a sample on my machine
when it was idle, and it was basically the same as what you found.

That makes me thing the keystroke just isn’t getting picked up for
some reason. What shortcut are you using? Maybe try configuring
something under “Modifier-only activation” as a fallback to see if
the app is truly unresponsive, or it’s just a particular shortcut.

--
Rob McBroom

Kris Shannon

Jan 27, 2021, 2:28:24 AM1/27/21
to Quicksilver
This sounds like issue #2540 - Prompt window missing after some time in Catalina 10.15.7

When this happens to me I can confirm that it QS is still working, it's just that the interface is invisible.

As I mentioned in my comment on the issue I am able to make it visible again by opening the preferences (⌘-,) and then the clipboard history (I have my own global keyboard trigger but probably the ⌘-L shortcut should work as well)

Once these two windows are showing then my trigger starts working again to show/hide the interface.

I can then close the clipboard history and the preferences and it still works until sometime later when whatever is going wrong happens again.