Job Posting: Blacklight Developer - Freelance Opportunity

Heather Topcik

Nov 17, 2021, 11:56:47 AM11/17/21
to Blacklight Development

Bard Graduate Center

Blacklight Developer - freelance opportunity

 The Bard Graduate Center seeks a highly organized developer to perform occasional maintenance, upgrades, and new development on our Library’s customized discovery interface, FOLIO, built with Blacklight (version 7). FOLIO has three major components: catalog search based on the Solr catalog index, integrated articles search based on the EBSCO Discovery System (EDS) API, and image collection search with the ingestion of contents from Artstor. The interface supports a multi-tabbed view of contents from different sources and responsive access for various devices.

 Bard Graduate Center is an interdisciplinary graduate research institute studying the cultural history of the material world. Our students gravitate to careers in museums, academia, the art world, and publishing.

Work will fall into two categories:

  1. Maintenance of existing system: help troubleshoot front- and back-end issues; proactively implement improvements to current functionality and design.

  1. New development: With additional data sources and enhancements planned for 2021,  we are looking for a collaborator to help evaluate the existing system and make recommendations for improvement.

Required Qualifications:

  • Strong demonstrable experience developing applications with Ruby on Rails

  • Experience deploying and maintaining Ruby on Rails apps on a Linux server.

  • Intermediate/Advanced-level Apache Solr configuration

  • Familiar with Blacklight and Traject.

  • Knowledge of library standards such as MARC and OAI.

  • Source code management using Github.

  • Intermediate-level HTML, Javascript, and other front-end technologies

  • Ability to analyze the existing system and accurately estimate the level of effort required for new features, workflow changes, and bug fixes.

  • Highly organized, motivated creative individual who finds joy in clean code.

  • Excellent communication skills.  You are someone who reaches out proactively to help problem-solve the issues that inevitably arise when working with a customized system.

Preferred Qualifications:

  • Experience working with Blacklight.

  • Familiarity with EBSCO Discovery Services

  • Experience working with library systems or higher education institutions

BGC embraces diversity, equity, access, and inclusion as essential and necessary components of its community and welcomes applications from those who would contribute to the diversity of our institution.

 To apply, please email a letter of interest, a resume, and an example of your work to deve...@bgc.bard.edu