Fw: Actions to Demand State of Economic Emergency in City of Detroit

frank hollenbeck

Jan 21, 2010, 10:42:10 PM1/21/10
to black_cherr...@googlegroups.com

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: apcjerry <apcj...@sbcglobal.net>
To: jerry goldberg <apcj...@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Thu, January 21, 2010 8:04:51 PM
Subject: Actions to Demand State of Economic Emergency in City of Detroit

45% unemployed in the City of Detroit – Families losing their lives due to DTE shutoffs – Our neighborhoods destroyed by foreclosures and evictions – Detroit schools continuing to fail – City services diminished due to lay-offs…

Mayor Bing:  Declare a State of Economic Emergency

in the City of Detroit!

® Moratorium NOW to Stop all Foreclosures, Evictions

and Utility Shutoffs in the City

®Request President Obama declare Detroit a Disaster Area and Fund a Public Works Program to Provide Jobs Now

The people of Detroit need emergency action by the new administration to meet the economic disaster that has hit our city.  Under Michigan law, specifically MCL 10.31 et. seq., upon application of the Mayor the governor can proclaim a state of emergency and designate the area involved.  Mayor Bing, with the support of City Council, needs to formally apply to Governor Granholm to declare a State of Economic Emergency in Detroit, and demand she use her police powers to place a two-year Moratorium on foreclosures, evictions and utility shutoffs in the city.

In addition, as part of the State of Emergency declaration, the Mayor must demand that the Governor apply to President Obama for money to bail out Detroit, the hardest-hit city in the country.  We need funds for jobs for youth to rebuild the houses that have been stripped and destroyed, and money to stop the destruction of public education and services in our city.

tuesday, January 26, 10:00 a.m.

®Come to the Detroit City Council meeting – 13th Floor, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center (Woodward at E. Jefferson) and demand City Council adopt a State of Emergency resolution during Public Comment section – Delegation to Mayor Bing’s office will follow

Wednesday, February 3, 5:30 p.m.

®Demonstrate in Lansing at Gov. Granholm’s

State of the State address

(Call 313-887-4344 for transportation from Detroit)

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO GET INVOLVED, CONTACT:

Moratorium NOW! Coalition to Stop Foreclosures, Evictions and Utility Shutoffs

5920 Second Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202

313-887-4344            www.moratorium-mi.org

January 19 leaflet with changespdf.pdf