Workshop

Brooklyn Fashion Week

Jul 4, 2011, 3:59:31 PM7/4/11
to bkstyle-brookly...@googlegroups.com

Global Purchasing Companies

Join Our Mailing List

Find me on FacebookFollow me on Twitter

Global Purchasing Companies

I just updated the email to include some background info on the speakers.

The workshop is open to only 50 students and we have 28 spaces available as of today.

After years of being an invited speaker at tradeshows, fashion weeks, and schools I have noticed how little real life information there is out there. I have also found after taking several workshops myself, the information is not genuine or complete. From what I have seen many of them are just hour long pitches trying to sell you something.

So we have developed this program for new designers in order to help guide them through all the steps needed to be successful. The speakers we have chosen are all industry veterans but their names may not be familiar to you. Real industry moguls are not household names, they prefer to stay out of the limelight. Think Jessica Simpson. She is the "front" of a billion dollar (yes that is a real number) clothing and accessories brand but the "people" behind her are the ones that made her that billion.

This group is not made up of professional speakers that might have hidden agendas. They are true garmentos, they love this industry, have great passion for it and are taking some of their personal time to give back.

We have listed below the speakers and a little bio about them.

Schedule

The day will be broken up into eight 50 minute workshops. For lunch, a boxed lunch will be served, which most likely will be pretty crappy, but I would like you to stay around so that you can network with each other and the speakers.

Friday July 22, 2011

8:30 AM

Sign In

MG

9:00 AM

Understanding how the Industry Works

Given by Mercedes Gonzalez

 Mercedes has worked as a buyer, in production development & has been a strategist for over 19 years. She has worked with Sears and other department stores but her love is for the main street retailer.

 An overview of why some designers make it and some never will. Fashion, design and talent are not enough to make it in this industry. Have you ever wondered why all great designers have a "day job"? Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton - Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel - Francisco Costa for Calvin Klein - John Galliano for Christian Dior - Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen. This review of the industry will help you set your long term and short term goals.

moe

10:00 AM

Forecasting and Developing a Signature

Given by: Mauricio Barrera

 A love affair for the NYC Garment Center that started 10 years ago, Mauricio has become an expert on local fashion sourcing. His talents lay in establishing, contracting, & supervising garment manufacturing for one of a kind to mass. He's provided his services to both upstart and established companies such as Rachel Roy, Anna Sui, Alice+Olivia.

So many designers look the same and the market is saturated with many of the same product lines. Understanding consumer behavior, market share and trends while developing your own "signature" is the key to standing out in today's market.

CK photo

11:00 AM

Getting it Right

Given By: Charles Klein, Esq.

Charles has been active in the garment center for the past 28 years. Starting with Sergio Valente as General Counsel to negotiating

domestic and international fashion license agreements. Charles has lectured on fashion legal issues before the New York State Society of CPAs, The Fashion Group and the Organization of Black Designers. He is also a writer and President of The Fashion Roundtable.

So many new designers waste incredible amounts of money trade marking, copyrighting and filing for patents. This class will highlight what is really needed, when you should start the process and the cost. It will share with you how to protect your brand, the truth about design protection and international licensing.

chris

12:00 PM

Design, Sampling and Production

Given by: Chris Nonn

Chris has been designing men's sportswear since 1998 for top clothing brands including Dickies, Avirex, Cockpit, Van Heusen, Kenneth Cole, Jordache, & CBGB's.

Most new designers take the "do it yourself" approach to sampling. They do everything from buying the fabrics to being the messenger from pattern maker, to cutter, to factory. This workshop will make the difference in having a hobby (producing anything less than 100) and a business. Design communication, sourcing the right factory, negotiating price & quality controls are all topics covered.

1:00 PM

Lunch Break

Nogozi

2:00 PM

Using Social Media to Launch a New Brand

Given By: Ngozi Odita

Ngozi  has over 10 years of experience in the fashion industry running an independent fashion label and as co-owner of Harriet's Alter Ego. Currently, Ngozi is Founder of Society HAE an online media site & event production company that promotes emerging art and culture.She also teaches at the Fashion Institute of Technology, and has worked with the Museum of American Design, the Brooklyn Museum, Lincoln Center & African Film Festival, Inc to incorporate social media in to their public programs.

It's been very well documented that you need a minimum of 2 million dollars to build a brand, but with today's social media the cost could be as little as $25 a week. This workshop will explore some gorilla marketing and editorial placement.

shannon

3:00 PM

Making the Sale

Given by: Shannan Catlett

Shannan has over 20 years of sales experience working in showrooms, tradeshows and on the road.  She has worked with Saks, Macy's, Bloomingdale and 100's of specialty boutiques. Currently she works for White + Warren a cashmere company based in New York.

You could have the best, well priced new product in the world but if you don't get the sale you have nothing but a dream. This workshop talks about hitting the streets (yes that is the only way you are going to make your first round of sales) tradeshows, and market weeks. It will help you set a budget and game plan. It will also cover how to get a buyer's attention.

Gary

4:00 PM

Financing the Line

Given by: Gary Wassner

Gary is the president of Hilldun, which finances young designers, offers loans and other forms of credit. Past clients include everyone from Marc Jacobs to Tommy Hilfiger. Current clients include up-and-coming designers with the potential to build real businesses. He is a CFDA Fashion Incubator Advisory Board Member and Mentor.

So many young designers limit themselves for fear of not having the money to produce the collection. This workshop will teach you how to limit risk, how to develop an investors pitch and what to expect from them. You will learn the difference between, Investors, Venture Capitalist, Angels, Banks, Money men, SBA and Grants and decide which one is right for you.

tina

5:00 PM

Logistics, Distribution Center & Operations

Given by: Tina Stamou

Tina has been working operations for over 20 years with international brands like Custo Barcelona to small independent designers. There is no part of the back office operations and logistics Tina hasn't streamlined.

Here is the tricky "back office" stuff no one wants to deal with, yet it could break your business. Getting your goods to the store on time and the way they want it packed is no easy task. Many young designers think it's fun to pack the shipments from home. That gets old fast. This workshop will help you see the big picture and have your supply chain in place. You will learn how your DC can zero out to no cost and the importance of CRM. Don't know what DC and CRM are? You will.

6:15 PM - 7:00 PM

Closing Panel Discussion

All of the speakers will give one last word of advice and then the floor will be open to questions and answers.

Cost and Guarantee

The cost of the full day Fashion Designers Intensive to be held in New York City is $450 dollars.

I understand if you might have some concerns about the pricing. We really took the time to price this as fairly as possible. I would like you to think of the cost like this: Just one good point, just one connection, just one "oh I didn't know that's how it's done", is worth thousands of dollars in avoiding mistakes. I don't run a not for profit and I am going to teach you how to not run one also. 450 dollars is a small investment in the future of your company. In the 13 years that I have been giving workshops I have always offered a money back guarantee, and no one has ever asked me for one. I will extend that same policy to this Fashion Designers Intensive. If you are not 100% happy that you have learned something new I will be there at the end of the panel with my check book.

Refund Policy

logo

tion Name

You must preregister for the Fashion Designers Intensive. No walk ins on the day of will be excepted. Registration closes 14 days prior to the event or when 50 students have registered. There are no refunds given if you cancel your reservation within 14 days prior to the event. A 10% refund fee will be deducted from your refund (for the PayPal and credit card fee that I still have to pay, I'm really trying not to be stingy).

Register Now & For Information

Disclaimer... I am simply sharing info that should be of interest to many! I cannot guarantee the accuracy or credibility of information shared...  please pass along... and if you attend an honest review will help others!