"DNS on NT" Released

Ora-News

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

O'Reilly and Associates has just released "DNS on Windows NT"--a
special edition of the classic "DNS and BIND". "DNS on Windows
NT" discusses one of the Internet's fundamental building blocks:
the distributed host information database that's responsible for
translating names into addresses, routing mail to its proper
destination, and many other services. As the authors write
in the preface, if you're using the Internet, you're already
using DNS--even if you don't know it.

This book covers the DNS server in Windows NT 4.0, as
updated with Service Pack 3. In addition to covering general
issues, like installing, setting up, and maintaining the server,
it covers many issues specific to the Windows environment:
integration between DNS and WINS, converting from BIND to the
Microsoft DNS server, and registry settings. The authors pay special
attention to security issues, system tuning, caching, and zone
change notification as well as providing detailed information on
troubleshooting and planning for growth.

What Readers and Critics Said About "DNS & Bind"

"The bible for DNS and its associated lookup routines is DNS
and Bind." --Peter Collinson, Sun Expert, May 1998

"The best book on DNS that I know of is DNS and Bind by
Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu." --Doug Shaker, Boardwatch, June 1995

"I consider this book to be essential documentation for anybody
who is responsible for a domain." --Adrian Wontroba,
C Vu, September 1997

"If you're going to set up a DNS Server, save yourself some
headaches and get yourself a copy of the definitive book of
the subject, DNS and Bind." --Windows Sources, February 1995

"A clear, straightforward, and sometimes even lighthearted
text to make the learning process as painless as possible."
--Robert Slade, Computer News Vol II, Issue 10

"For any DNS question--general or specific--make sure to
read DNS and Bind, the seminal work by Paul Albitz and Cricket
Liu. This book is what convinced me, in May 1994, that setting
up services on the Internet was a learnable and doable proposition."
--Glenn Fleishman, NETGUIDE, August 1996

"To understand DNS, you'll need to consult the standard
reference text, O'Reilly & Associates', DNS and Bind. --
Jason Levitt, Information Week, October 21, 1996

"We recommend DNS and Bind to help you get over the hump on
this one. We've seen it make DNS pros out of many of the formerly
lost." --Jack Ricard, Boardwatch, February 1997

"This is an outstanding book--system administrators need it;
interested users will find it enlightening."
--Elizabeth Zinkann, Sys Admin, May 1997

DNS on Windows NT
By Paul Albitz, Matt Larson & Cricket Liu
1st Edition November 1998
1-56592-511-4, 348 pages, $34.95
http://www.oreilly.com
This book, and other O'Reilly products, are available in
the Americas, Japan, the Pacific Rim, and Europe
through local bookstores, or directly from the
publisher. Shipping is additional on all direct
orders. For shipping costs,
call or go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/order_new/

To order or for more information:
call: 1-707-829-0515 (or 1-800-998-9938
in the US and Canada)
or email: or...@oreilly.com
or fax: 707-829-0104
or write: O'Reilly and Associates, 101 Morris St.,
Sebastopol, CA 95472, USA

O’Reilly’s Catalog and Resource Centers are at:
http://www.oreilly.com

Lisa Mann @ O'Reilly & Associates
101 Morris St., Sebastopol, CA 95472
707-829-0515 ext. 230 li...@oreilly.com