FAQ - biz.healthcare -

Chris Gunn

Sep 25, 2010, 12:27:04 AM9/25/10
Frequently Asked Questions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discussion for healthcare professionals
(Moderated)

Charter: biz.healthcare provides a forum for healthcare professionals to
discuss administration and operation of healthcare facilities.
This forum shall include topics for accountants, nursing staff,
administrators, social workers, dietary workers, therapists,
and all other employees of healthcare facilities. No
advertisements will be accepted. It is the moderators sole
responsibility and unquestioned authority to ensure that
articles adhere to the charter.

Q. Is advertising for products and services allowed on biz.healthcare?

A. Advertising is not allowed on biz.healthcare. Ads should be posted in
the biz.marketplace.* groups that are not designated for discussion or
in other hierarchies.

Anything that sounds remotely like it may be a Chain Letter, Ponzi, or
other unethical business practice will be rejected and may selectively
be forwarded to NFIC for investigation.

Although some groups may be for advertising, the best way to get a
reader's attention is through a good discussion thread. Very few will
buy a magazine just to read advertising. It's the interesting
articles that get pages turned and TV channels tuned.

Q. What happens if I ignore the rules and try to post advertising to
biz.healthcare?

A. The biz.healthcare newsgroup is moderated, the moderators being Chris
Gunn and Jeff Norton. The UseNet news mechanism at both the user
interface and transport level does not permit posting or propagation
of an article without the moderators approval. Instead, it E-Mails
them to the moderator's address for approval and posting.

Q. How do I submit a post to biz.healthcare?

A. Simply post it to the newsgroup. If your news software is properly
configured, your posting will be automatically E-Mailed to the
moderators. If not, it will of course eventually land in the UseNet
black hole and disappear. If you're not sure your news software is
properly configured, contact your local administrator and ask him to
request a copy of the current biz hierarchy checkgroups cmsg from the
biz hierarchy authority and administrator <ed...@xenitec.on.ca>.

Information on posting to moderated newsgroups is periodically posted
to news.lists, news.groups, news.answers, entitled: "List of
Moderators for Usenet". The rtfm.mit archive name is:
"moderator-list/part1".

Q. Is there any specific format which messages should follow?

A. Articles should reflect a professional and business like attitude and
be limited to plain text and the upper 128 characters. Messages that
contain HTML or MIME encoding may be rejected. Set your margins for a
maximum of 76 characters per line so everyone can easily read your
posts.

Q. Do all messages have to be in English?

A. Although most of the messages you see on the biz groups are in English,
it's not a requirement. Messages in other languages are welcome as
well as using the entire IBM ASCII character set so you can spell your
name properly. Posting in your language, with a translation in
English, will give you the widest audience.

Q. What's the best way to present myself on the newsgroups?

A. Folks with whom you'd like to create associations will make their
decisions based on their impression of your messages. During a
discussion, you may read messages from someone who has an opinion
totally different from yours. Feel free to discuss the difference of
opinion but try to avoid getting hurt feelings involved. You will be
asked to use E-Mail if messages are personal attacks or the language
belongs elsewhere.

Q. Why do my messages sometimes not appear in the newsgroups?

A. If you cross-post to a "(Moderated)" newsgroup such as biz.healthcare,
the message is sent to the Moderator as E-Mail instead of being posted
to all of the newsgroups in the heading. The Moderator then decides
what will appear in the newsgroup itself. If accepted, you may not
see your message until the next day or so. Please do not cross-post
to Moderated newsgroups and post to them only as individual messages.

Q. What if I want to avoid the E-Mail spammers?

A. Messages are expected to come from legitimate addresses. Attempts to
avoid E-Mail responses and anonymous messages may be rejected. We
realize it's nice to avoid getting on E-Mail lists but it also makes
the moderator's job harder. More important, it's like trying to do
business with an unlisted phone number. We also encourage the use of
real names in From: lines rather than funny handles or trying use it
as advertising.

Q. Since this group is moderated, can I trust what I see here?

A. The moderators simply approve appropriate articles sent to them for
posting. They cannot verify the integrity of any particular posting
or poster. Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware).

Q. If my messages are rejected, how will I know why?

A. Whenever possible, the moderators will respond to rejected messages
explaining the problem. If message posters demonstrate they won't
voluntarily cooperate, they may be placed on the blocking/filter list
for automatic rejection.

Q. How can I advertise without getting into trouble?

A. Some newsgroups do accept advertising. Don't go by the messages you
see there. Check the charters to ensure they do and what you wish to
promote fits within the topic area before posting. For the "biz"
hierarchy in general, please refer to the biz meta-FAQ posted on biz.
config periodically by Ed Hew, the biz Newsgroup Authority.

Drop by http://www.bizynet.com/faq-news.htm to access all of the biz
newsgroups FAQ's. Click the [Return to Index] button to find even
more information on how to get the most from the newsgroups.

We hope you'll find biz.healthcare both enjoyable and informative,

Chris Gunn
<cg...@bizynet.com>