FAQ - How do I get E-Mail delivered? -

Chris Gunn

Apr 20, 2011, 1:55:41 AM4/20/11
> I'm looking for ways to get E-mail to other people. Every time I
> try to send stuff, it says wrong E-mail address.

Howdy Folks,

The majority of the bulk E-Mailers and spam posters to the newsgroups use
bogus or fake addresses in the heading to avoid complaints getting their
accounts revoked or to stay off of other mailing lists. Even many of the
"remove" procedures don't actually work.

It is not easy to tell who is doing it for ethical reasons. I do not
recommend the practice of using addresses that cannot be easily replied to
for real business folks. However, I can also understand why they would
like to avoid getting a bunch of junk mail.

Some tips on whether it's worth trying to post to an address:

If a group of "xxx"'s, "nospam", or other characters appear in the
address, look at the bottom of the message to see if there are
instructions on how to fix the address when replying.

If it's from a domain name like @nowhere.com, @default.com, @nospam.com
or @nobody.com there's not much point trying. Same if the address is
obviously a group of random characters like afo...@somewhere.com.

Sometimes the "Reply-To:" line is okay and the "From:" address is bogus
or vice versa. You can use one of them for the "To:" address and the
other in the "Cc:" line if you are not sure.

Often if there's a mismatch between the "Message-Id:" and "From:" lines
there's a problem. If the Message-Id contains @aol.com and it's From
@prodigy.com, it's very likely bogus. This is not usually true if the
poster wants you to reply to a @hotmail.com or some other addresses.

If the address includes "@mail." (like cg...@mail.laplaza.org) you may
need to remove the "mail." so it will work right. This happens when
some mail reader programs are not configured properly.

Before you mess with your headings to avoid a little junk mail, stop to
think about what would happen if your tried to use an unlisted phone
number for your business. I wouldn't ring very often, would it?

It's a good idea to save a copy of the messages you respond to and what you
posted so it's easier to try again if it bounces. Hang in there. With some
experience you'll find it easier to spot who's worth posting a response to.

Chris
BIZynet Coordinator <cg...@bizynet.com>
Co-Moderator of biz.general, biz.marketplace.discussion, biz.stolen,
biz.marketplace.international, alt.business.import-export.only & others

Please drop by our http://www.bizynet.com/faq-indx.htm FAQ Index page to
find all of the articles we share regularly on the biz.* newsgroups.