Printing From A VAX!!

1 view

Devilish Inferno

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Hey Everyone, I am a complete Newbie at this VAX stuff and am dying for
somehelp.

We have an offsite machine that dials in (Modem) to our VAX machine in the
central office. The problem is we need this machine to print locally,
however (As far as I know) without a hard connection to the VAX server, no
printer will print.

We use Koalaterm (MKT) to connect, however we can use Hyperterminal if
required. Please, I really need some help with this! Any assistence is
appreciated, please E-Mail.

Thanks,
Doug Hafichuk
doug.h...@atcostructures.com

Curtis Rempel

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00

"Devilish Inferno" <doug.h...@atcostructures.com> wrote in message

> Hey Everyone, I am a complete Newbie at this VAX stuff and am dying for
> somehelp.
>
> We have an offsite machine that dials in (Modem) to our VAX machine in the
> central office. The problem is we need this machine to print locally,
> however (As far as I know) without a hard connection to the VAX server, no
> printer will print.

Depends on what kind of printer you have and what kind of network protocols
your VAX is using currently or can be configured to use.

If you have a DECserver kicking around with a spare port and a serial
connection on your printer, you can easily set up a LAT print queue. If
you're using TCP/IP on the VAX, you can also set up a similar configuration.
Better yet, if your printer has a network card which supports LAT or TCP/IP
that is the best solution. If you could provide some more hardware details
you'll probably get a better answer.

> We use Koalaterm (MKT) to connect, however we can use Hyperterminal if
> required.

If you can connect via Hyperterminal, I'd say you already have TCP/IP
configured. Refer to your TCP/IP documentation (i.e. UCX aka TCP/IP
Services, MultiNet, TCPware, etc.).

>Please, I really need some help with this! Any assistence is
> appreciated, please E-Mail.

Ask here, get an answer here.