Recipe DTD, RNG or XML schema?

W. Martin Borgert

Jan 30, 2012, 9:21:59 AM1/30/12
to bit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

does a DTD or other formal description of the recipe XML
syntax exist? If so, where? If not, I would try my luck
to create one (RNG) and post here for review.

Cheers

anatoly techtonik

Jan 31, 2012, 3:28:20 AM1/31/12
to bit...@googlegroups.com
I would really like to replace XML with YAML or at least provide alternative format, validation for which is likely to be possible only in Python. But I agree that formal syntax (with format version) will help to import/export Bitten recipes for other frameworks automatically (maybe even generate documentation, like we do in Colorer project).
--
anatoly t.

Emmanuel Blot

Jan 31, 2012, 4:20:16 AM1/31/12
to bit...@googlegroups.com
> I would really like to replace XML with YAML

+1
I've been thinking to add YAML support to Bitten for a while, but as
usual: no spare time…
Hand-edited XML for recipes is really a PITA.

W. Martin Borgert

Jan 31, 2012, 4:55:43 AM1/31/12
to bit...@googlegroups.com
On 2012-01-31 10:20, Emmanuel Blot wrote:
> I've been thinking to add YAML support to Bitten for a while, but as
> usual: no spare time…
> Hand-edited XML for recipes is really a PITA.

OK, so I will try to create the RNG file. This way one could at
least use a decent XML editor, such as Emacs nxml-mode.

My main complaints about the recipes, however, is not the
format, but the facts that:

1. they are not version controlled
2. they are not very flexible

Cheers

anatoly techtonik

Jan 31, 2012, 5:23:28 AM1/31/12
to bit...@googlegroups.com

I have only one single complain:

It is * * hard to comment stuff in XML, because tag opening bracket < is not allowed inside XML <!-- --> comments. Epic fail IMO.

--
anatoly t.