Bitten for Trac 1.2 and later

Ryan Ollos

Apr 1, 2016, 2:13:59 AM4/1/16
to Bitten, jo...@borgstrom.se
Hello Bitten committers,

I'm supporting a user that is running Bitten with Trac 1.0.8 and I'd like to give them the option of moving to Trac 1.2. Bitten needs to be adapted to the Trac 1.0+ database API.

It seems the Bitten project has stopped. Does anyone have any interest in the project, or would you be okay just handing it off? Would any of the previous committers be available to review changes?

If I was to embark on this work, could I push the changes to the Bitten repository and create a new release? Would you be okay with a Bitten 0.7 that supports Trac 1.0+, or maybe even Trac 1.2+? I'd prefer to avoid writing code that is compatible with Trac < 1.0. It's just more difficult to write and test, and Trac 1.0 has been available for quite some time.

I'd plan to work out of a Git mirror. See #41 in the Lynx Trac for information on how that will be setup.

- Ryan

Simon Cross

Apr 1, 2016, 9:48:58 AM4/1/16
to bit...@googlegroups.com, Jonas Borgström
I'm happy with handing it off and to review changes if needed. Also +1
on managing things from a Git mirror.

osimons

Apr 2, 2016, 5:18:19 PM4/2/16
to Bitten
Great, Ryan. Your contributions would be most welcome.

I'm still using Bitten with Trac 0.12, and the current trunk revision should work for releases of Trac lower than 1.2. However, I understand Trac 1.2 changes that, and in the name of progress I suppose it may be better to drop old versions in order to support new Trac releases. As all the necessary DB api code changes don't add or change any Bitten features at all, current trunk revision can just be documentet as last 0.12-compatible. If needed later for backporting new features we can even make an 0.7.x branch and call your trunk code 0.8dev instead.

We will find ways to integrate your efforts :-)

:::simon

Ryan Ollos

Apr 4, 2016, 3:49:20 PM4/4/16
to Bitten

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 5:18:19 PM UTC-4, osimons wrote:
Great, Ryan. Your contributions would be most welcome.

I'm still using Bitten with Trac 0.12, and the current trunk revision should work for releases of Trac lower than 1.2. However, I understand Trac 1.2 changes that, and in the name of progress I suppose it may be better to drop old versions in order to support new Trac releases. As all the necessary DB api code changes don't add or change any Bitten features at all, current trunk revision can just be documentet as last 0.12-compatible. If needed later for backporting new features we can even make an 0.7.x branch and call your trunk code 0.8dev instead.

We will find ways to integrate your efforts :-)

:::simon

Thank you both for the support!

I'm going to work on Lynx #41, and will then look at the patches that have been applied to my Bitten installation and see if they can be proposed for Bitten 0.7.

I think the idea of creating a Bitten 0.7 that supports at least Trac 0.12, and then Bitten 0.8 that supports Trac 1.0 and later, is a good plan.

-Ryan

Simon Cross

Apr 4, 2016, 5:13:59 PM4/4/16
to bit...@googlegroups.com