shortened bitly link working for PC clickthrough but not smartphone/device clickthrough on FB ad

Erinn LaMattery

Dec 19, 2016, 11:31:35 AM12/19/16
to Bitly API
I'm pretty baffled and frustrated. Yesterday I set up a FB ad for my page using the shortened bitly link to redirect people to my album with products on sale. A potential customer wrote me to say the link doesn't work, so I asked my friends on FB to test it, and across the board, all smartphone/device clicks don't click through and are directed to a 'link not working' page, whereas all PC clicks are able to reach the destination. Very frustrating to say the least due to lost income for the ad itself, as well as lost potential customers.

I'm trying to work out if this is a FB problem or a Bitly problem? Here is the FB ad link with the Bitly link in it:

And here is the bitly link used in the ad:

And this is the screen shot of the message being received by smartphone/device users:

And this is the link that one friend received when they chose to 'copy link' on their phone:

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Offonawhim/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1180123642077209

So yeh, I'm mostly frustrated because something I paid for didn't work, and more than that, the lost potential customers hurts. What should I do and how should I proceed? I can't edit the ad as it's already running.

~ Erinn ~

Peter Herndon

Dec 19, 2016, 11:43:10 AM12/19/16
to Bitly API
Hi Erinn,

For normal Bitlinks, we don't do anything different based on the source of the click. Whether the end user clicks a Bitlink on their PC or on a mobile device, we still issue the same redirect, with no differentiation based on platform. If Facebook choose to do something different, that will be an issue on their side how they handle redirection to whatever mobile version of their site they provide.

Good luck!

Regards,

---Peter Herndon
Sr. Application Engineer