3.5 inch floppy disk drive troubleshooting

klpend...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 9:32:17 AM10/7/21
to BitCurator Users

Hi all,

We bought three 3.5 inch floppy disk drives (NEC FD1231H) prior to the pandemic for use with our Kryoflux board to replace a failed drive and I just got back into the office to test them out. For all three, when I apply power to the drives I get a continuous, high-pitched buzzing and Kyroflux cannot communicate with the drive. I’ve confirmed that there are no issues with the Kyroflux board (it works fine with our 5.25 inch drive), and have swapped out all components (board, data cable, Molex/Berg connecter, PSU) with the same result. The behavior is the same whether or not a disk is in the drive. My assumption is that something is wrong with the motor or drive unit, but as all three exhibit the same behavior I'm concerned that I may have caused it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for additional troubleshooting or ideas of what the issue may be? I'm hoping to understand what is wrong with these ones (especially if I was the cause) before I go and purchase more.

Thanks.

Keith

vma...@ucsd.edu

Oct 11, 2021, 2:23:51 PM10/11/21
to BitCurator Users
+1 Keith, I'm having the exact same issue after I tried to replace a broken drive. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing it?