Converting KQP files to JPEG

James Truitt

Jun 5, 2024, 3:04:33 PMJun 5
to BitCurator Users
Hi all,

I came across some KQP files this morning on a Konica Picture Show floppy. Since I couldn't find any existing ways of converting them to something more open without emulating WindowsXP, I took a leaf out of Corey Forman's book and, with the guidance of Usenet, carved into one with a hex editor to get a usable JPEG.

I've written a little Python script to automate the process, and am posting it here so that the next person who has to deal with these files will have something more to go on.

Best,
James Truitt
Swarthmore College

Kieran O Leary

Jun 10, 2024, 3:48:34 PMJun 10
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

This is such brilliant work and thank you for sharing that code and this process with the community.
Out of curiosity, do you have any sample images that you could share in order to test out the script?

Best,

Kieran O’Leary
Digital Repository Services Manager
National Library of Ireland

James Truitt

Jun 11, 2024, 3:38:15 PMJun 11
to BitCurator Users

Hi Kieran,

No problem!

I've updated the GitHub rep with a pair of test files. The images I found were from a high school prom and track meet, so most of them don't feel right to circulate, but I've chosen a couple where no one's face is visible. Hope that's useful!

Best,
James

Kieran O Leary

Jun 11, 2024, 8:31:53 PMJun 11
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Thank you James, looking forward to testing them out!

co...@digitalsleuth.ca

Jun 18, 2024, 5:18:46 PMJun 18
to BitCurator Users
This is excellent, James! I'd also recommend seeing if the tool deark (https://github.com/jsummers/deark) can do this as well and, if not, perhaps submit a pull request to see if they can add it to the tool!

Tyler Thorsted

Jul 2, 2024, 12:04:46 PMJul 2
to BitCurator Users
James, this is awesome. There seems to be a never ending supply of old formats that need our attention!

The new quantization table I submitted on GitHub is what the Konica PC PhotoShow software uses when it exports your KQP files to JPG.

I have found a few other KQP files which won't render after conversion with the script, and it seems later versions of KQP used a different header, identical to the Pegasus PIC format. If you are interested, I can share samples.

Tyler Thorsted