Intel vs. AMD CPUs

Alexandra Jokinen

Jan 17, 2024, 1:03:58 PMJan 17
to BitCurator Users
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading the computers we use for digital preservation activities here at the CCA (Canadian Centre for Architecture), and was wondering if there was a preference or consensus within the BitCurator Users community about which CPU to use - Intel or AMD? Of course we have used Intel up to this point, but our IT department is recommending making the switch to AMD. I am hesitant in case there are any compatibility issues with BitCurator suite software/tools. Does anyone have any input or experience with this and/or testing with AMD? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

For reference, we are preserving some complex digital objects such as CAD and other design formats, as well as AV formats. In the very near future I anticipate working with BIM models and VR, and I assume games at some point.

Thank you so much!

Alex