Bitcurator 2.2.18 VM system program problem detected - unmet dependencies for icu-devtools?

Kieran O Leary

Nov 22, 2021, 6:32:03 AM11/22/21
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When using 2.2.18, even with a clean install, I keep getting pop-ups saying that there’s a system program problem detected. The main annoyance is just the I keep getting the Ubuntu popups, but it also seems that this breaks any potential updates via apt, though I’m wondering if bitcurator intends for no updating to happen?

This is the output when I run apt-get check

Best,

Kieran O’Leary
Digital Preservation Manager
National Library of Ireland

Kieran O Leary

Nov 22, 2021, 6:32:56 AM11/22/21
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
P.S I’m running the VM in VirtualBox

Kam Woods

Nov 22, 2021, 4:31:47 PM11/22/21
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Just as a first thought this appears to be a Ubuntu package manager issue, rather than something specific to BitCurator. Some of the Python tools in BitCurator depend on PyICU (which is installed by pip in the script). PyICU depends on libicu-dev (which is also installed from a package by the script).  Libicu-dev has icu-devtools as a dependency (which is installed automatically by the package manager), so if that is breaking it (probably) points to the package manager being confused. You can try running "sudo apt --fix-broken install" as it suggests, or try the following and see if it helps:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt install -f

For reference, I've just unpacked a fresh copy of 2.2.18, allowed it to run unattended-upgrades in the background for about an hour, restarted when prompted, and then performed a manual update with apt. I do not see this conflict appearing, so this also makes me think what you're seeing is an issue with the repository info either having been interrupted at some point (something that can happen without you doing anything, sometimes) or having gotten out of sync in some other way.

Kam

Kieran O Leary

Nov 23, 2021, 4:02:34 AM11/23/21
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kam,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m happy that you are not seeing the issue on your end. I most likely didn’t see those updates through. My main reason for reporting was just in case the issue was happening for everyone and some config issue was present.

Thanks for the they’ll as usual,

Kieran