BitCurator on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS?

Charlie Macquarie

Jul 8, 2022, 2:50:18 PM7/8/22
to BitCurator Users
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience installing BitCurator on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS yet?

I'm considering installing it on a new computer and I see that all the documentation still says it's for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so I'm wondering if folks have tried and encountered smooth sailing or instead encountered lots of difficulties.

Thanks for anything that people might have to offer.

-Charlie

------------------------------

Charles Macquarie

pronouns: he/his

Digital Archivist - UCSF Library, Archives & Special Collections

Charles....@ucsf.edu | 415.502.7539

https://www.library.ucsf.edu/archives/

*Please note that I do not work on Tuesdays and Thursdays

*Also, I may email you after work hours, please do not feel the need to respond outside your own regular work hours

Kam Woods

Jul 8, 2022, 3:00:29 PM7/8/22
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
The (old, near end of life) BitCurator repositories you're looking at will break in many ways on 22.04LTS. BitCurator has recently been reengineered with a new Salt state group, a new CLI installer (source at https://github.com/bitcurator/bitcurator-cli, release at https://github.com/BitCurator/bitcurator-cli/releases/tag/v0.0.4) to install on 20.04LTS, the most recent supported by Saltstack (https://repo.saltproject.io/#ubuntu).

Our new CLI tool is already designed to support Ubuntu 22.04LTS - we're just waiting on Saltstack. Once they've updated their repos, we'll do a new test and make an official release. It's expected that this will happen sometime in the next few months.

Note that the current release of the CLI tool I linked above is "0.0.4", and the matching BitCurator salt state repo (https://github.com/bitcurator/bitcurator-salt) is technically at release "3.0.1"  but there has been no official announcement yet about BitCurator 3, since we need to write additional documentation, test a VM build, etc.

Kam

Jessica Farrell

Jul 8, 2022, 3:06:54 PM7/8/22
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
thank you!!!!

--
Jess Farrell | she/her/hers
Community Facilitator

Charlie Macquarie

Jul 8, 2022, 3:59:55 PM7/8/22
to BitCurator Users
Thanks Kam (and Jess)!

Sounds like I'll just need to choose between either sticking to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and attempting to install BitCurator 3.0.1 as outlined at https://github.com/BitCurator/bitcurator-salt/blob/main/README.md, or waiting a bit until Saltstack is updated for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and then attempting to install BitCurator 3.0.1 using same link/directions as above. (but please do let me know if what I just outlined seems to be misunderstanding something.)

I'll figure out what works best for us, and thank you for the guidance,

-Charlie

Kam Woods

Jul 8, 2022, 4:13:04 PM7/8/22
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
That's correct. Note that BitCurator 3.x has some other significant changes (including launchers no longer being on the desktop but in a customized Applications menu at the top left), some older unmaintained tools have been removed, others have been updated. The updated documentation will reflect all of this, it's just not done yet :)

Kam