Research inquiry — preserved 2009–2011 Linux/Bitcoin computing environments

16 views
Skip to first unread message

Dylan Hernandez

unread,
Sep 18, 2026, 10:39:43 AMSep 18
to BitCurator Users

Hello,

I'm an independent researcher looking for preserved computing artifacts from early Bitcoin use, specifically an original computer, hard drive, forensic/full-disk image, virtual-machine image, or complete system backup from a Linux machine that actually ran Bitcoin during 2009–2011.

Ubuntu and Debian systems are of particular interest, although other Linux distributions may also be relevant.

My research concerns the provenance and reconstruction of the historical software environment, including system-level characteristics that cannot necessarily be established from archived source code or a wallet file alone.

I'm not requesting private keys, seed phrases, wallet credentials, or access to third-party funds. At this stage, I'm primarily trying to determine whether qualifying historical system artifacts still exist.

If anyone is aware of relevant collections, preserved disk images, digital-forensics cases, research projects, collectors, or early Bitcoin users who may have retained such an environment, I'd greatly appreciate a pointer or introduction.

Valencia Johnson kindly invited me to share this inquiry with the BitCurator Users community.

Many thanks,
Dylan Hernandez

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages