Remaining Sections

Greg Sanders

Apr 12, 2014, 8:14:52 PM4/12/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
Can we get a quick consensus on what is left from major section that are missing?

I see:

P2P Network

Blocks broadcasting

Transactions broadcasting

Alerts

If you guys are busy working on other stuff, I can take a whack at those.

What else is missing?

David A. Harding

Apr 12, 2014, 8:38:05 PM4/12/14
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 05:14:52PM -0700, Greg Sanders wrote:
> Can we get a quick consensus on what is left from major section that are
> missing?
>
> P2P NetworkBlocks broadcastingTransactions broadcastingAlerts

Yeah, that's the last remaining major section.

I want to write a short (less than 500 words) introduction which
mentions things we haven't otherwise defined such as:

* bitcoind/bitcoin-qt/bitcoin-cli
* testnet/mainnet
* Where to get help: forum, IRC
* How to tell us there's something wrong/missing with the docs

> If you guys are busy working on other stuff, I can take a whack at those.

I'm all for you taking the P2P section. I have some editing I want to do
on the transaction sections which were moved out of order so they flow
correctly again.

Thanks!,

-Dave
--
David A. Harding

Saïvann Carignan

Apr 12, 2014, 9:28:47 PM4/12/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
Greg / David - That all sounds good!

It's currently a separate page, but the API Reference page was also part of the TODO list in case someone is interested:

David A. Harding

Apr 12, 2014, 9:36:52 PM4/12/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, that and we also have a TODO for the Generating Transactions
subsection.

I'm sure there will always be more documentation to write, but I think
we might soon need a list of things we want get done for the initial
bitcoin.org pull request.

Does anyone know if GitHub has some sort of todo list feature or
something else for a list of stuff too small to warrant separate issues?

Saïvann Carignan

Apr 12, 2014, 9:55:00 PM4/12/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com

Oh yeah, that and we also have a TODO for the Generating Transactions
subsection.

I'm sure there will always be more documentation to write, but I think
we might soon need a list of things we want get done for the initial
bitcoin.org pull request.

Fully agree.

Does anyone know if GitHub has some sort of todo list feature or
something else for a list of stuff too small to warrant separate issues?

AFAIK, GitHub Wiki can be used for that. Just made an initial TODO page:
https://github.com/saivann/bitcoin.org/wiki/TODO

(That's basically yet another git repository only serving markdown files displayed on GitHub for the current project, with easy online editing features)

David A. Harding

Apr 12, 2014, 10:16:29 PM4/12/14
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 06:55:00PM -0700, Saīvann Carignan wrote:
> AFAIK, GitHub Wiki can be used for that. Just made an initial TODO page:
> https://github.com/saivann/bitcoin.org/wiki/TODO

Nice! I added a couple items plus a simple prioritization prefix list.

Thanks,

Chris Beams

Apr 13, 2014, 4:47:06 AM4/13/14

On Apr 13, 2014, at 3:36 AM, David A. Harding <da...@dtrt.org> wrote:

Does anyone know if GitHub has some sort of todo list feature or
something else for a list of stuff too small to warrant separate issues?

signature.asc

David A. Harding

Apr 13, 2014, 8:50:03 AM4/13/14
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:47:06AM +0200, Chris Beams wrote:
> Yes—take a look at https://github.com/blog/1375-task-lists-in-gfm-issues-pulls-comments.

Thanks! I moved the todo list into an issue using that syntax:

https://github.com/saivann/bitcoin.org/issues/57

Saïvann Carignan

Apr 13, 2014, 10:41:52 AM4/13/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
That's nice, thanks!

Mike Hearn

Apr 15, 2014, 10:57:54 AM4/15/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
* bitcoind/bitcoin-qt/bitcoin-cli
* testnet/mainnet

regtest mode should be prominently mentioned and explained, as it's the easiest way to develop apps by far.

David A. Harding

Apr 15, 2014, 11:47:45 AM4/15/14
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 04:57:54PM +0200, Mike Hearn wrote:
> regtest mode should be prominently mentioned and explained, as it's the
> easiest way to develop apps by far.

Already done: https://github.com/saivann/bitcoin.org/pull/65

(Although I guess I'll rephrase that a bit to make it more prominent.)