Fwd: Introduction to Education Committee

David A. Harding

Jul 25, 2014, 7:08:33 AM7/25/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com, nikos.be...@gmail.com
Hey,

I thought I'd send this post from the Bitcoin Foundation blog to the
list for anyone who wants to contribute to the Foundation's Education
Committee's publications. I subscribed to ("watched") their GitHub:

https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io

They also have a mailing list, but you have to fill out a form to
subscribe to it:

https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io#readme

I'm CC'ing the Committee Chairman, Nikos Bentenitis, in the hopes that
he might join our list[1] and let us know from time to time about any
new documentation initiatives the committee is planning so volunteers on
this list can help contribute. (I'm also hoping we can avoid too much
duplication of effort between content for the Bitcoin.org website, which
we mostly work on, and the Education Committee material.)

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bitcoin-documentation

-Dave

----- Forwarded message from Bitcoin Foundation <no...@dev.null.invalid> -----

Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 02:00:03 -0400
From: Bitcoin Foundation <bo...@dev.null.invalid>
To: da...@dtrt.org
Subject: Introduction to Education Committee

>From the three goals of the Bitcoin Foundation (standardization,
protection and promotion of Bitcoin), the education committee is
focused on promotion. To promote Bitcoin, the committee currently
focuses on producing best-practice guides that members of the general
public can turn to for information about Bitcoin and its potential. In
this post, we would like to share with you how the committee is
creating those guides with an eye towards its decentralization and its
opening to the community.

We have created a series of [guides][1] with an [introduction to
Bitcoin][2], and we provide suggestions on [selecting a wallet][3],
[buying bitcoin][4], [using bitcoin in business][5] and the [technical
part of bitcoin for non-technical users][6]. You can also see a few of
our [proposals][7] and the committee's [social media presence][8].
Those proposals are made to the Board of the Foundation from time to
time. All these materials are created in an open-ended way and everybody
is free to participate at any time.

The committee has been using Github.com for content hosting, content
generation, task management and credit attribution. The goal is for all
content created by the committee to be hosted on Github, all editing to
be done there, all tasks to be public and, most importantly, membership
and standing in the committee to be determined by contribution.
Committee membership is not determined by a decree and nobody chooses
whom to appoint in the committee. There is a chair-person, currently
Nikos Bentenitis, who is pushing towards this vision and is encouraging
everybody to participate. But the idea is that if this experiment in
decentralized content creation succeeds, there will be no need for a
chair-person. People in the committee come and go, ideas gain and lose
momentum but with Github everybody's work is visible to the world.

We invite you to look at the committee's [Github repository][9],
outstanding [tasks][10](called issues on Github), and
current [contributors][11]. And we encourage you to set up a Github
account and to [contribute to the committee's work][12] by updating our
guides, sharing them with your network and translating them (we have
done some work in Spanish and Italian but we need more languages). And
finally, the committee has an expanding social media presence with
members sharing the credentials of social media accounts and posting
there. So, join us on Twitter at [@BFEduComm][13], on[Facebook][14], or
connect via any Diaspora [pod][15] to (bfed...@diasp.org), if you
would like to learn more and get in touch.

[1]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/tree/master/guides
[2]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/blob/master/guides/en/introduction.md
[3]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/blob/master/guides/en/security.md
[4]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/blob/master/guides/en/buying.md
[5]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/blob/master/guides/en/businesses.md
[6]: http://btcfoundationedcom.github.io/guides/pdf/BTCHandout2NonTech.pdf
[7]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/tree/master/proposals
[8]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/blob/master/proposals/socialmedia.md
[9]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io
[10]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/issues
[11]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/graphs/contributors
[12]: https://github.com/btcfoundationedcom/btcfoundationedcom.github.io/blob/master/contact/README.md
[13]: https://twitter.com/BFEduComm
[14]: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFEduComm/
[15]: http://podupti.me/

----- End forwarded message -----

--
David A. Harding

Saïvann Carignan

Jul 26, 2014, 11:44:05 PM7/26/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com, nikos.be...@gmail.com
Sure, working together is always a good idea! Thanks!

Saïvann