Bitcoin Developer Guide printable version?

Greg Sanders

Mar 19, 2015, 12:26:10 PM3/19/15
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
I asked David through e-mail, but I was wondering if anyone would find it beneficial to be able to convert the website into a printable document, like a Latex document.

Lawrence of GreenAddress asked in passing and I was wondering if anyone else would find it interesting.

Asking here for a wider audience.

Saïvann Carignan

Mar 19, 2015, 12:30:31 PM3/19/15
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
For the record, the website has @media print rules to make sure the
documentation prints nicely.

I am not an expert when it comes to printable documents though, so I
don't know about the other advantages of providing a Latex (or any other
format).

Saïvann

Greg Sanders

Mar 19, 2015, 12:37:11 PM3/19/15
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
You're right it prints ok. Latex is just really pretty and make you seem like a legit scientist no matter what you write.

Greg

David A. Harding

Mar 19, 2015, 1:07:32 PM3/19/15
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 12:30:27PM -0400, Saīvann Carignan wrote:
> For the record, the website has @media print rules to make sure the
> documentation prints nicely.
>
> I am not an expert when it comes to printable documents though, so I
> don't know about the other advantages of providing a Latex (or any other
> format).

Pandoc, which is my favorite document conversion tool, would handily
convert our Markdown sources to very-attractive LaTeX-based PDF as well
as epub. We could further convert epub to .mobi, the Kindle format. I've
done all three of those for clients before, and that part is a snap.

Right now this would require some work to remove/reformat the stuff we
use the Liquid templating for, but with a custom converter plugin
(probably ~15 lines of code), we could probably add an option to dump
the Markdown output to a file after Liquid is done with it but before we
currently feed it to Kramdown for HTMLifying.

We'd probably also want to make some other changes for ebooks, like
disabling the voluminous autoxref links, the subhead links, using PNGs
rather than SVGs, adding a warning and copyright statment near the
beginning, etc... so it's probably not a 20-minute project. But
I'd be willing to give it a shot.

(As I told Greg, I'll be PRing the new glossary today and after that I
really do have to figure out how the site translations work. Saīvann
has been tutoring me, but it hasn't all come together in my head yet.
After *that*, I'll look into this.)

-Dave
--
David A. Harding