Developer Docs Gone Live!

David A. Harding

May 24, 2014, 11:07:17 AM5/24/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
We went live just a few minutes ago:

https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-documentation

Congratulations and thank you to everyone who contributed!

Saïvann plans to post an announcement to Reddit and Bitcoin Talk.
You'll be able to find the announcements from his user pages:

http://www.reddit.com/user/saivann/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=73755;sa=showPosts

Thank you again everyone! I can't wait to see what's next.

-Dave
--
David A. Harding

Saïvann Carignan

May 24, 2014, 11:39:28 AM5/24/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
Congratulation and thank you everyone! That's awesome to see this live
on bitcoin.org, finally!

Here's the direct links to the reddit/bitcointalk thread (just let me
know if you think I'm missing something important)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/26dp6e/new_developer_documentation_on_bitcoinorg/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623528.0

Saļvann

Le 2014-05-24 11:06, David A. Harding a écrit :
> We went live just a few minutes ago:
>
> https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-documentation
>
> Congratulations and thank you to everyone who contributed!
>
> Saļvann plans to post an announcement to Reddit and Bitcoin Talk.

Chris Beams

May 25, 2014, 2:50:26 AM5/25/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
Congrats, indeed!

One question, however: are we missing a link to /developer-documentation in the main nav? I'm not seeing one, meaning that /developer-documentation is not discoverable unless you've already been provided the link somehow (e.g. via the Reddit annoucement).

- Chris
> --

signature.asc

Chris Beams

May 25, 2014, 2:53:39 AM5/25/14
to bitcoin-do...@googlegroups.com
Answering my own question, I see that there's a pull request open which mentions links to /developer-documentation in the first paragraph of /developer.

I suppose that solves the main problem, but I wonder if these docs don't deserve more first-class treatment in the nav. Just a little concerned that folks might miss that link.

In any case, not as severe an issue as I originally thought.

- Chris
signature.asc

David A. Harding

May 25, 2014, 8:58:19 AM5/25/14
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 08:53:33AM +0200, Chris Beams wrote:
> I see that there's a pull request open which mentions links to
> /developer-documentation in the first paragraph of /developer.

Yes, and on the current site it's also the first link on that page and
the last link on the how-it-works page:

https://bitcoin.org/en/development
https://bitcoin.org/en/how-it-works

> I suppose that solves the main problem, but I wonder if these docs
> don't deserve more first-class treatment in the nav. Just a little
> concerned that folks might miss that link.

Yeah, we discussed it briefly here:

https://github.com/saivann/bitcoin.org/pull/117#issuecomment-42472812

It looks to me like Saīvann and I agreed to use "Documentation" as the
name for the menu item.

Adding it to the menu as discussed in that thread sounds fine to me.

Saïvann Carignan

May 25, 2014, 9:46:37 AM5/25/14

Le 2014-05-25 08:57, David A. Harding a écrit :

> Yes, and on the current site it's also the first link on that page and
> the last link on the how-it-works page:
>
> https://bitcoin.org/en/development
> https://bitcoin.org/en/how-it-works

..And the only link on the big "Get started" button from the
"bitcoin-for-developer" page (linked from the main landing page).

So, sure, I want people to find it too !! :)

> Yeah, we discussed it briefly here:
>
> https://github.com/saivann/bitcoin.org/pull/117#issuecomment-42472812
>
> It looks to me like Saīvann and I agreed to use "Documentation" as the
> name for the menu item.
>
> Adding it to the menu as discussed in that thread sounds fine to me.

I was still left wondering if we should somehow merge /development with
/devel-doc but I guess I'll drop the idea for now.

If nobody outrace me, I'll provide a pull req and update translations.

Saïvann

David A. Harding

May 25, 2014, 10:13:19 AM5/25/14
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 09:46:27AM -0400, Saīvann Carignan wrote:
> I was still left wondering if we should somehow merge /development with
> /devel-doc but I guess I'll drop the idea for now.

Yeah. Merging those pages would be a bear. I think you've taken a good
first step by moving the "Specification" links to the portal page.
Maybe we can repeat that idea to slowly move content off of /developer
over a number of commits to make a final merge easier and less likely
to cause problems.

> If nobody outrace me, I'll provide a pull req and update translations.

I won't touch it. I'm busy trying to turn my generating transactions
walkthrough into something usuable instead of a wall of hex text and
JSON output. :-)