generate IL or CFG from assembly file

alex.g...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2015, 10:23:31 AM8/7/15
to BitBlaze User Discussion group
Good day,
As I know vine only can generate IL or CFG from binary or trace file. I have a assembly file and want to convert it to IL and generate CFG.
I want to know that can vine do this process?

Stephen McCamant

Aug 13, 2015, 11:01:56 AM8/13/15
to bitblaz...@googlegroups.com

AG> Good day,
AG> As I know vine only can generate IL or CFG from binary or trace
AG> file. I have a assembly file and want to convert it to IL and
AG> generate CFG. I want to know that can vine do this process?

Vine doesn't have any particular support for doing that. It would
require re-implementing a lot of the functionality of an assembler
(e.g. parsing, matching instructions) for not a lot of benefit, so I
don't see it being a likely direction for near-term future work.

Usually what you would do instead is to run an existing assembler on
the file, and then pass the object file to Vine.

If you wanted to keep assembly-language-level information like labels,
I think the best thing to do might be to read the assembler listing
into Vine. That's a kind of text output traditionally produced by
assemblers which shows the assembly language source together with the
assembled bytes (e.g., in hex) and addresses. You could pass the hex
bytes to Vine's existing IR conversion, and then parse the labels or
other directives from the aligned assembly text.

Hope this helps,

-- Stephen