Vine Installation Error

Pallavi Singh

Nov 18, 2015, 12:04:39 PM11/18/15
to BitBlaze User Discussion group
Hello,

I'm facing problem in installation of vine 1.0. I tried every possible steps but the problem still persist.

I'm trying to run trace_reader as given the document of Vine, but I'm getting an error "No such directory or file".

Hope you could help me soon.

Thanks,
Pallavi
Screenshot from 2015-11-18 17_12_02.png

Stephen McCamant

Nov 18, 2015, 1:31:47 PM11/18/15
to bitblaz...@googlegroups.com

PS> Hello,
PS> I'm facing problem in installation of vine 1.0. I tried every
PS> possible steps but the problem still persist.

Saying that you tried "every possible step" seems to me unlikely to be
an accurate summary. Talking about some more specific things you have
tried would I think be more helpful in understanding your problem.

PS> I'm trying to run trace_reader as given the document of Vine, but I'm
PS> getting an error "No such directory or file".

Specifically, the full error message shown in your screenshot is:

bash: ./trace_utils/trace_reader: No such file or directory

(It would be easiest for readers if you could copy exact and complete
error messages into your email, such as by cut and paste).

This error indicates that the trace_reader program does not exist, I
think because and earlier step that was supposed to compile it
failed. Earlier in the screenshot I see that you tried to configure
Vine but were unsuccessful, and then you didn't even try to run
"make", so from those commands I would not expect the program to
exist. Among the commands shown in the screenshot this one looks like
it clearly shows some problems:

./configure --path-ex=$(PWD)/VEX

Were you attempting to follow some directions other than the Vine 1.0
installation manual? If so mentioning them would also be helpful. My
guess of the most similar command you might have intended is:

./configure --with-vex=$(pwd)/VEX

The two differences between those commands correspond to the two error
messages printed:

PWD: command not found
configure: error: unrecognized option: --path-ex=/VEX

Unix is case sensitive, so "pwd" and "PWD" would be different
commands, and only the former is a standard one.

The ls output shown earlier in the screenshot does include a
config.status file and a Makefile, which makes me think that you
managed to run configure more successfully at some point in the
past. If so, you still need to compile by running "make", and if that
produces an error, probably that error is where you should focus your
debugging.

Hope this helps,

-- Stephen