Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Announcement of Real-Time User Observations Home Page

74 views
Skip to first unread message

Bob Hart

unread,
Dec 4, 1994, 3:09:09 PM12/4/94
to
Greetings!

At the request of those on WX-TALK, and those in the ne.weather group,
I have set up a database system which will allow any user to post their
current weather conditions to a database, and will also allow browsing of
this database, assuming you have access to a recent version of a web
browser, such as Mosaic, NetScape, or Lynx. Currently, only United States
observations are allowed; however, with time, I plan on adding
support for world-wide observations.

Also included is a hotlist to automated weather stations around the world
(short but growing list).

The site is at http://cac.psu.edu/~reh113/userobs.html

Brief Description:
-----------------

Submitting:

You are able to enter the following data:
*City *State Temp Wind Pressure Cloud-cover and Precipitation

Additionally, there is an area for various comments, such as precip
totals, snow cover, thunder, etc.

Those above with an '*' are the only required entries for submission.

Your observation is time-stamped once you submit it.

Browsing:

The data is collected by State, so browsing involves simply entering a
state and all the observations collected are displayed for that state.

Currently, I have a limit of 100 observations per state before purging
of old observations begins.

I hope to include on the page a set of general guidelines users should
follow when making observations... to keep the quality of observations
as high as possible.

Try out the database...
Let me know what you think....
Send or post any comments or suggestions!

Thanks!

-Bob Hart
Penn State Univ.
reh...@psu.edu

Todd Gross

unread,
Dec 8, 1994, 3:07:04 AM12/8/94
to
In article <3bt7l5$d...@hearst.cac.psu.edu> reh...@wileypost.cac.psu.edu (Bob Hart) writes:

>Try out the database...
>Let me know what you think....
>Send or post any comments or suggestions!

>Thanks!

>-Bob Hart
>Penn State Univ.
>reh...@psu.edu


Bob.. I LOVE your database. For some reason my comments didn't seem to
register. The problem I see (minor) is that

a.... One must log into this home page, it doesn't come to you
b.....Most do not yet have access to WWW

Let's definitely keep with this though, I think it is great. Let's see if we
can figure out a way to tie this in with the developing mail-list


- Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Gross (to...@shore.net)
Channel 7 Meteorologist, Boston
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sean Mcaleer

unread,
Dec 9, 1994, 8:55:24 AM12/9/94
to
Todd Gross (to...@shore.net) wrote:

: >Thanks!


Well I'm not all that sure if most people dont have access to the WEB,

Todd have we done any polling on this...? If that is the case then,people

compuserve aol and said prodigy should drop those services...Almost

you need is here on the Internet and your not paying for forums or $$

extended fee areas or even E-MAIL....


I really think you guys should combine forces and put it all on a web site.

There is going to be a little bit of a split or let down if we have 2
differnet sites.....

Just my 3 cents worth....

But both of you guys deserve a hand!!!! thanks!

Sean


Tuesday is looking better,(thats if you like snow!)

Sean Mcaleer

unread,
Dec 9, 1994, 9:15:01 AM12/9/94
to
Sean Mcaleer (nex...@savvy.com) wrote:

: : >Thanks!

: Sean


Sorry for the lousy post......Half awake here,

I do believe though that a WWW site is the way to go!
A web site is neater and instead of recieving 30 letters saying it 29
degrees out and sunny when you come home from work when its already dark
and say 40 and raining, is a waste. I do beleive the E-MAIL concept
for model discussion and questions is a must, but I think it all can
be put on Bob Harts page. If he can put out a NORTHEAST.HTML,where
post our current reading and then tab down the page and hit
NE.WEATHER ....We could have the best of 2 worlds, along with some of the
best weather pages on the net.

I understand that maybe some people dont have access to WWW, but soon
prodigy and aol and I'm sure compuserve will offer the WEB....But why on
Earth people still pay for those services I dont know...(you can see,that
I'm very bitter towards all 3 HUGE companies) when it's all available
here for free...what i mean is your not paying EXTRA like you would and
will do on those services........DUMP THEM!!

Wow..

Get yourself INTERNET FOR DUMMIES AND A UNIX book and climb aboard
surf's up!!!!(thats how we all learned to surf!!!!


Enjoy NE.WEATHER.... BIG TIME!!!! Thanks guys....


Mike waiting for your morning forecast...


sean....(tuesday is looking better than it did last night)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Todd Gross

unread,
Dec 9, 1994, 6:00:14 PM12/9/94
to
In article <3c9nkc$o...@savvy.com> nex...@savvy.com (Sean Mcaleer) writes:
>From: nex...@savvy.com (Sean Mcaleer)
>Subject: Re: Announcement of Real-Time User Observations Home Page
>Date: 9 Dec 1994 13:55:24 GMT


> I really think you guys should combine forces and put it all on a web site.

> There is going to be a little bit of a split or let down if we have 2
>differnet sites.....

> Just my 3 cents worth....


OK.. The mail list that I am developing will be near real time, not true real
time. The main point is it can reach the most # of people NOW, we don't have
to wait for them to get WWW access, AND it comes right to them in their
mailbox.

The WWW page may work better down the road though, I admit.

-Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Gross


Channel 7 Meteorologist, Boston
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email address: To...@shore.net
Work Phone#: (617)725-0805
Personal 24 Hr. Wx Hotline: 976-6200 (508 & 617 only - 59c/min)


Jeff Wolfe

unread,
Dec 10, 1994, 4:59:59 PM12/10/94
to
In article <toddg.201...@shore.net>, Todd Gross <to...@shore.net> wrote:
>In article <3c9nkc$o...@savvy.com> nex...@savvy.com (Sean Mcaleer) writes:
>>From: nex...@savvy.com (Sean Mcaleer)
>>Subject: Re: Announcement of Real-Time User Observations Home Page
>>Date: 9 Dec 1994 13:55:24 GMT
>> I really think you guys should combine forces and put it all on a web site.
>
>OK.. The mail list that I am developing will be near real time, not true real
>time. The main point is it can reach the most # of people NOW, we don't have
>to wait for them to get WWW access, AND it comes right to them in their
>mailbox.
This is a matter of some debate around here.. I don't like to be on mailing
lists, as it increases the S/N ratio of my mailbox. Also, it's a pain when
someone leaves and forgets to unsubscribe from mailing lists..

>
>The WWW page may work better down the road though, I admit.

I have Perl code to archive a mailing list on a WWW site. I also can provide
a permanent home for the web site and mailing list if necessary.

-Jeff Wolfe
-Newsadmin, Sysadmin - College of Earth and Mineral Sciences - Penn State

Todd Gross

unread,
Dec 11, 1994, 2:47:36 AM12/11/94
to
>>
>>The WWW page may work better down the road though, I admit.

>I have Perl code to archive a mailing list on a WWW site. I also can provide
>a permanent home for the web site and mailing list if necessary.

>-Jeff Wolfe
>-Newsadmin, Sysadmin - College of Earth and Mineral Sciences - Penn State


Jeff.. can you tell me more about how that would work.. that is archiving the
mailing list. The initial mail list that I am setting up this week is geared
mostly for Southern and Central New England, and we have others interested in
starting them for other areas adjacent.... any further insight to the archive
sight and possibility of mailing list providing would be great. We need an
archive site apparently for ne.weather as well, can you help there?


Todd Gross
To...@shore.net
Meteorologist.... Channel 7, Boston

Scott Ehrlich

unread,
Dec 11, 1994, 10:29:45 AM12/11/94
to


Actually, if we can get the list to run under the latest version of
Majordomo (automated list management), we could set a digest (bunch of
messages in one massive e-mail message). From this, one or more of us
could save the digest to a file, and store it on an FTP site.

Because I maintain the Boston ARC FTP archives, I might be willing to
deviate from the ham radio aspect of it just this once and store what
comes through.

But, that will be if nobody else can collect the messages and store them.

Scott

--
Scott Ehrlich Amateur Radio Callsign: wy1z E-mail: wy...@neu.edu
Boston ARC ftp archives: ftp oak.oakland.edu /pub/hamradio
Boston ARC Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html
Ham Radio and More: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc/ham-more/ham-more.html

Todd Gross

unread,
Dec 12, 1994, 2:30:28 AM12/12/94
to

>>To...@shore.net
>>Meteorologist.... Channel 7, Boston


>Actually, if we can get the list to run under the latest version of
>Majordomo (automated list management), we could set a digest (bunch of
>messages in one massive e-mail message). From this, one or more of us
>could save the digest to a file, and store it on an FTP site.

>Because I maintain the Boston ARC FTP archives, I might be willing to
>deviate from the ham radio aspect of it just this once and store what
>comes through.

>But, that will be if nobody else can collect the messages and store them.

>Scott

>--
>Scott Ehrlich Amateur Radio Callsign: wy1z E-mail: wy...@neu.edu
>Boston ARC ftp archives: ftp oak.oakland.edu /pub/hamradio
>Boston ARC Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html
>Ham Radio and More: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc/ham-more/ham-more.html


Well, for starters, the New England weather observers mail-list that I am
starting this week WILL run in majordomo, and WILL digest, but will do so more
frequently than 1x per day. In terms of that mail-list, it probably would be
fruitfull to save the observations for later reference..

Scott has done alot already, can someone else archive this?

Jeff Wolfe

unread,
Dec 12, 1994, 10:59:26 AM12/12/94
to
In article <toddg.218...@shore.net>, Todd Gross <to...@shore.net> wrote:
>
>Well, for starters, the New England weather observers mail-list that I am
>starting this week WILL run in majordomo, and WILL digest, but will do so more
>frequently than 1x per day. In terms of that mail-list, it probably would be
>fruitfull to save the observations for later reference..
>
>Scott has done alot already, can someone else archive this?

In a previous message, I offered to work with Bob Hart to get him a
permanent home for his web pages here at PSU. I can include an archive
as part of that web page and also provide access via anon FTP.

-Jeff

Todd Gross

unread,
Dec 12, 1994, 2:12:35 PM12/12/94
to
In article <3chs0u$e...@wegener.ems.psu.edu> wo...@wegener.ems.psu.edu (Jeff Wolfe) writes:
>From: wo...@wegener.ems.psu.edu (Jeff Wolfe)

>Subject: Re: Announcement of Real-Time User Observations Home Page
>Date: 12 Dec 1994 10:59:26 -0500

>
>In a previous message, I offered to work with Bob Hart to get him a
>permanent home for his web pages here at PSU. I can include an archive
>as part of that web page and also provide access via anon FTP.

>-Jeff

Scott... can you work with Jeff on this to determine if you need help with
your archive?


Todd Gross

0 new messages