Re: Origin of "Elvii"

1 view

fabfoto...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2020, 12:12:42 PM2/7/20
On Wednesday, May 29, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, PMA082267 wrote:
> I m trying to track down the etymological derivation of the word Elvii as
> the plural of Elvis. Believe it or not, I think I m the person
> responsible (yes, my contribution to pop culture). I came up with the
> word back in early 1993. I was working for Hasbro (I still do) and we
> were planning a line of Elvis dolls. Well, they were planning the King in
> a variety of outfits from different periods of his life. Just to be
> funny, because how could anyone take a line of Elvis dolls seriously, I
> started to refer to the different dolls collectively as Elvii. My boss s
> boss, thought the word was great. He probably passed it on up the chain
> of command (it didn t have that far to go). The bigwigs were dealing with
> the folks at Elvis Presley Enterprises and could have told them the word
> (probably taking credit for it!!) and so it spread. At least that s my
> humble theory. The earliest outside reference to the word that I ve found
> is from Jay Leno around Christmas 1993, a good nine months after me. And
> in the 1992 film, Honeymoon in Vegas they have the Flying Elvises , not
> the Flying Elvii . Does anybody know any references to the word prior to
> 1993? I've got to know one way or the other.
>

> **********Patricia Annino**********
> The creator of the only "Tales of the Gold Monkey" Web Site
> http://members.aol.com/pma082267/goldmonkey/index.html
> BECAUSE SOMEBODY HAD TO, THAT'S WHY!!!

"Elvii" was coined by Elisa Blatteis of Memphis, the producer of the 1985 documentary "Elvii" on which I was the director of photography. The film played in a few overseas festivals until fair use copyright issues ended its run. You won't find a copy of "Elvii" on the internet or even a mention from a Google search.