rock and the economy

LL23000

Dec 20, 1991, 10:04:05 PM12/20/91
I think there are real problems with this guy's analysis of the lyrics.
For example, he considers "Wake Up, Little Suzy" an optimistic song. The
song (for those of you who are too young to remember....) is about a
couple who goes to the drive-in and falls asleep, waking up around 2 or
3AM. They are in BIG TROUBLE. But the economist cnsiders this short-
term, transitory trouble, and so the song is optimistic. I dunno--when
I was in high school, I went for a drive with some friends and we got
lost, and I STILL remember getting yelled at. That is the only example
I can remember.

Hemlines are not really all that accurate an economic indicator. (I happ
en to be involved in an undergraduate research team, and we are looking
into this very subject.)

Karen

Charles Stanford

Dec 21, 1991, 2:38:58 AM12/21/91
Karen:
I dont even remember getting to that point.
HOWEVER! I think that was the time before the CubAN MISSLE
CRISES.

charles

Charles Stanford

Dec 23, 1991, 10:54:15 AM12/23/91
Sorry Karen:
have trouble quoting on this system. Will be more
explicit.
Charles

Beisbol been bery bery good to me

Dec 20, 1991, 11:21:00 AM12/20/91
>I'm hoping for help from some our economists Or others at libraries with
>stron holdings in econ. periodicals (like UK, for instance). Last night
>on ATC, there was a report based on a paper by an economist named
>something like Sulow, Zulow, Soolow, or whatever. His paper appeared in a
>recent issue of Journal of Economic Psychology (I assume it's the
>current issue, since it doesn't show up yet in the indexes I've checked).
>The paper purports to show that the mood of rock lyrics (optimistic,
>pessimistic, etc.) is a leading indicator for the economy. I'm reasonably

I heard the tease for the story, but not the story itself. Our
business school receives the journal; if I a) had the time, b) was
located nearer to GSB, and c) was more intensely interested, I'd check
it out for you, Marty. Perhaps UofL has a business library...

neal

CROSEN%BGSU...@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu

Dec 20, 1991, 10:53:00 AM12/20/91
Greetings,

I'm hoping for help from some our economists Or others at libraries with
stron holdings in econ. periodicals (like UK, for instance). Last night
on ATC, there was a report based on a paper by an economist named
something like Sulow, Zulow, Soolow, or whatever. His paper appeared in a
recent issue of Journal of Economic Psychology (I assume it's the
current issue, since it doesn't show up yet in the indexes I've checked).
The paper purports to show that the mood of rock lyrics (optimistic,
pessimistic, etc.) is a leading indicator for the economy. I'm reasonably

sure the paper is only of peripheral interest to real economists, but it's
quite interesting to me, and I want to see it. I could ILL it, if I had
a real citation. Does anybody out there ever see this journal; could they
post the author's name and an accurate citation? I'd also like to hear
learned comments from economics luminaries.

Marty Rosen

LL23000

Dec 23, 1991, 3:58:02 AM12/23/91

As far as I remember, there was only one. And I don't see what that has
to do with his analysis. His analysis is being done NOW, by 1990's
standards. (Which may in itself be a problem.) I have to say that I
haven't read the article; I heard him interviewed on the radio. I actu-
ally listen to NPR and like it!!

Charles--I am assuming from the header, and the fact that this message
is addressed to me that this is indeed an appropriate response. I have
to say that many of your other postings are totally opaque to me because
of lack of context. If that is your intent, fine, but otherwise--maybe
you should quote to provide context and jog brains, or be more explicit.
Especially for those who don't read on a daily basis.

Karen

Dan Lester

Dec 20, 1991, 4:08:01 PM12/20/91
On Fri, 20 Dec 1991 10:53:00 EST <CROSEN%BGSUOPI...@uga.cc.uga.edu> said:
>something like Sulow, Zulow, Soolow, or whatever. His paper appeared in a
>recent issue of Journal of Economic Psychology (I assume it's the
>current issue, since it doesn't show up yet in the indexes I've checked).
>The paper purports to show that the mood of rock lyrics (optimistic,
>pessimistic, etc.) is a leading indicator for the economy. I'm reasonably
>sure the paper is only of peripheral interest to real economists, but it's
I will check. Intersting. If hemlines are an indicator, why not rock
lyrics? Bet its the usual problem of things having correlations, but
people assuming causality in one direction or the other from a mere correlation
of whatever size.

dan

Graham Toal gtoal@vangogh.cs.berkeley.edu

Dec 23, 1991, 5:51:04 PM12/23/91
In article <20DEC91.23833620.0038.MUSIC@NEMOMUS> LL23%NEMOMUS.bitnet%CUNYVM....@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU (LL23000) writes:
:I think there are real problems with this guy's analysis of the lyrics.

:For example, he considers "Wake Up, Little Suzy" an optimistic song. The
:song (for those of you who are too young to remember....) is about a
:couple who goes to the drive-in and falls asleep, waking up around 2 or
:3AM. They are in BIG TROUBLE. But the economist cnsiders this short-
:term, transitory trouble, and so the song is optimistic. I dunno--when

I dunno - kids. The movie's over; it's 4 o'clock, and they're in trouble
deep...