B'days

1 view

Roxanne Coyle

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
>So today, Jan. 1, is my father's 78th birthday. Hard to believe. I got
>an e-mail from him this morning (yes, e-mail, you heard me right) wishing
>me a Happy New Year's Day. By "this morning" I mean the 31st of
>December. So I wrote back and told him it wasn't New Year's Day yet or
>he'd be hearing from me about his birthday. Can't figure out if he was
>confused about the days, or what. One confused parent is quite enough.
>So I'll call tomorrow as if we hadn't had this conversation. WHew!
>These aged p's really keep one wondering.
>--judithk.

Maybe dad was thinking that email was as slow as snail mail?

Just a thought. Cool he was computering, though. My dad, who is only in
his 60's (mom too) thinks he is too busy to get connected to the internet.
Oh well. More bandwidth for the rest of us, huh?

Roxanne

--
| | ^ |~>|~>\/ |\ ||_~| | \/|_~ ^ |~>
|~|/~\|~ |~ / | \||_ |/\| / |_ /~\|~\

Roxanne Coyle

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
>> Maybe dad was thinking that email was as slow as snail mail?
>>
>Yeah, that's exactly what my friend D. thought. I bet that's true. I
>*am* anazed that he's "computering" because my Mom was always the one who
>was reading all the time and trying new things. But now she can't even
>remember the old things.
>--jk.

I started reading an article in the paper that mentioned that melatonin
is supposed to be helpful to Alzheimer's sufferers. I never finished
reading it, though, and I think I already recycled the newspaper.

Judith Kocik

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96

Judith Kocik

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96

Judith Kocik

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96

> I started reading an article in the paper that mentioned that melatonin
> is supposed to be helpful to Alzheimer's sufferers. I never finished
> reading it, though, and I think I already recycled the newspaper.
>
> Roxanne

Well, hey. At this point, nothing will *hurt*. I'll pass this on to my
sister and see whether she can persuade my Mom.
--jk.

Paul Kuritz

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
> These aged p's really keep one wondering.
> --judithk.

Thank-you.

Judith Kocik

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

Hah! And here I just told Phyllis how much I'd been enjoying you two
"p"s, and the very next posting is something true to form from the other "p."

Is it snowing in Maine today? Started here a while ago, and by tomorrow
we may have 8-15," or so they are claiming.
--judithk.

Paul Kuritz

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

> Is it snowing in Maine today? Started here a while ago, and by tomorrow
> we may have 8-15," or so they are claiming.
> --judithk.

It is supposed to begin snowing tonight and leave 11 inches before it
leaves tomorrow night. The kids have hardly been in school this winter;
they have been <blessing> us with their home stays. I have volunteered to
drive them to school through the blizzard.Great weather for sleigh-riding:
we went on a two horsed sleigh ride New Year's eve, followed by pop corn
and hot chocolate around a very hot wood stove. Speaking of hot...(or
speaking of wood...)

Gennifer Flowers wrote that sometimes she tied up Bill for sex. It was the
only way she could stop him from changing positions.

Bob Dole is rumored to have his eye on John Silber as his running mate: a
two fisted approach to America's problems.

Nice to hear from you, judithk.

Tony Harminc

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Posted on 2 Jan 1996 at 14:12:57 by Judith Kocik

>Is it snowing in Maine today? Started here a while ago, and by tomorrow
>we may have 8-15," or so they are claiming.

All yesterday they were telling us of the horrible winter storm due to
come through here this morning. Today they've decided that it's
missed us, and will dump everything on Ohio and New York, leaving us
with a few scattered flurries.

Tony H.

Karen Kay

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Paul Kuritz said:
> Bob Dole is rumored to have his eye on John Silber as his running mate: a
> two fisted approach to America's problems.

Oh, god!!!!!

Karen
kar...@netcom.com

Doris Smith

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
> All yesterday they were telling us of the horrible winter storm due to
> come through here this morning. Today they've decided that it's
> missed us, and will dump everything on Ohio and New York, leaving us
> with a few scattered flurries.
>
> Tony H.

The weather report I heard on my way to work this morning said that we
(Houston) can expect temperatures in the mid 20's tonight, with possible
snow flurries around 1:30 or 2:00 am. Since we are a smidgin north of
Houston, we may be even colder. But I don't think I'll stay up to see if
it can really snow.
doris

Nancy Harwood

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Doris Smith wrote:
> The weather report I heard on my way to work this morning said that we
> (Houston) can expect temperatures in the mid 20's tonight, with possible
> snow flurries around 1:30 or 2:00 am. Since we are a smidgin north of
> Houston, we may be even colder. But I don't think I'll stay up to see if
> it can really snow.

I heard around 6:30 tonight that the snow alert has been called off.
Think how many kids will be disappointed when we have school tomorrow! :-)
ndh

Anne Tracy

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
It seems we have a blizzard warning here in NW OH, and it's looking purdy
durn nasty out there tonight.

Anne T.

Clyde Voigtlander

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96

>This reminds me of a editorial cortoon that would periodically show up in
>the Richmond Times-Dispatch. A man wearing a civil defense helmet and a
>panic-stricken look. He's standing in front of a weather map that has a
>tangle of fronts drawn on it and showing the word snow. Tha caption says:
>
> "Run for your lives! It's going to SNOW! We're all going to die!"
>
>Richmond did not handle snow well.
>
> - phyllis

Here in Oak Ridge, a forecast of snow--of any measurable accumulation--sends
the whole town to the grocery stores to stock up. The scene is vaguely
reminiscent of the panic-buying shots they show on CNN when a hurricane is
about to hit the East Coast. I've never been able to figure out whether
these Oak Ridgers are (1) mostly southerners, who fear any snow, or (2)
transplanted yankees who have experienced the real thing and don't trust
"light snow" forecasts.

CWV

Nancy Harwood

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Phyllis C. Petree wrote:
> This reminds me of a editorial cortoon that would periodically show up in
> the Richmond Times-Dispatch. A man wearing a civil defense helmet and a
> panic-stricken look. He's standing in front of a weather map that has a
> tangle of fronts drawn on it and showing the word snow. Tha caption says:
>
> "Run for your lives! It's going to SNOW! We're all going to die!"
>
> Richmond did not handle snow well.

Houston does not handle snow well, either.
ndh (happy that it did not snow...in fact, it's supposed to be 73 here
again tomorrow)

Janet W. Hardy

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
Shoshana Edwards (br...@AULDBOOKS.COM) wrote:
: At 02:40 PM 1/3/96 -0500, Clyde Voigtlander wrote:

: One of my fondest dreams, which now will never be realized unless it happens
: in 1-1/2 months, has been to see Los Angeles grind slowly to a complete halt
: because of snow. I mean, we are after all a desert, and it does snow in the
: desert. It did snow here once, but it was a very long time ago, before I
: arrived.

My first year in southern California was '68. I was in the eighth
grade. I can remember one afternoon commenting to my classmates, "If I
didn't know better, I'd swear it was going to snow." Half an hour later
there were big white flakes swirling down. There was enough to stick for
an afternoon or so, but it wasn't enough to stop the day-to-day
functioning of the city.

My next experience with California snow was my freshman year at UC Santa
Cruz, when it snowed one December night during finals and people came out
of the dorms to dance naked in the snow.

Verdant

Phyllis C. Petree

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Nancy Harwood wrote:

> I heard around 6:30 tonight that the snow alert has been called off.
> Think how many kids will be disappointed when we have school tomorrow! :-)
> ndh

This reminds me of a editorial cortoon that would periodically show up in

the Richmond Times-Dispatch. A man wearing a civil defense helmet and a
panic-stricken look. He's standing in front of a weather map that has a
tangle of fronts drawn on it and showing the word snow. Tha caption says:

"Run for your lives! It's going to SNOW! We're all going to die!"

Richmond did not handle snow well.

- phyllis
ppe...@email.unc.edu

Shoshana Edwards

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
At 02:40 PM 1/3/96 -0500, Clyde Voigtlander wrote:

>Here in Oak Ridge, a forecast of snow--of any measurable accumulation--sends
>the whole town to the grocery stores to stock up. The scene is vaguely
>reminiscent of the panic-buying shots they show on CNN when a hurricane is
>about to hit the East Coast. I've never been able to figure out whether
>these Oak Ridgers are (1) mostly southerners, who fear any snow, or (2)
>transplanted yankees who have experienced the real thing and don't trust
>"light snow" forecasts.

One of my fondest dreams, which now will never be realized unless it happens
in 1-1/2 months, has been to see Los Angeles grind slowly to a complete halt
because of snow. I mean, we are after all a desert, and it does snow in the
desert. It did snow here once, but it was a very long time ago, before I
arrived.

Can you imagine all those crazed loonies behind the wheel who can't drive in
a rainstorm trying to brave the snow?

sho...

Judith E. Schrier

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
>One of my fondest dreams, which now will never be realized unless it happens
>in 1-1/2 months, has been to see Los Angeles grind slowly to a complete halt
>because of snow. I mean, we are after all a desert, and it does snow in the
>desert. It did snow here once, but it was a very long time ago, before I
>arrived.
>
>Can you imagine all those crazed loonies behind the wheel who can't drive in
>a rainstorm trying to brave the snow?
>
>sho...

It snowed twice during the 16 years I lived in L.A., both times after
dark. The first time it was evening; I went outside with my parents;
we all made icy snowballs and threw them at trees. The second
time it snowed while we were asleep. In the morning there was a tiny
bit of frost left on the grass as I walked to school. Streets were
not icy.

love, judith

Betty Clark

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
> It snowed twice during the 16 years I lived in L.A., both times after
> dark. The first time it was evening; I went outside with my parents;
> we all made icy snowballs and threw them at trees. The second
> time it snowed while we were asleep. In the morning there was a tiny
> bit of frost left on the grass as I walked to school. Streets were
> not icy.
>
> love, judith

My husband woke me up in the middle of the night because it was snowing
here once. I had just spent 23 years in Montana and wasn't all that
impressed. He probably won't do it again. ;)

Betty

Clyde Voigtlander

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96

>Can you imagine all those crazed loonies behind the wheel who can't drive in
>a rainstorm trying to brave the snow?
>
>sho...

Yes--I encounter them during/after every snowfall down here. They are all
around us.

Evelyn Duncan

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96

> Today they've decided that it's
>missed us, and will dump everything on Ohio and New York, leaving us
>with a few scattered flurries.
>
>Tony H.

We got enough to close the schools but not the malls.

Evelyn

Whose department didn't sell enough to pay the wages for today.

Roxanne Coyle

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Shoshana wrote:
>One of my fondest dreams, which now will never be realized unless it happens
>in 1-1/2 months, has been to see Los Angeles grind slowly to a complete halt
>because of snow. I mean, we are after all a desert, and it does snow in the
>desert. It did snow here once, but it was a very long time ago, before I
>arrived.
>
>Can you imagine all those crazed loonies behind the wheel who can't drive in
>a rainstorm trying to brave the snow?

I saw it snow here. It was, I guess, about seven or eight years ago. I
was working at Infinity, the speaker company, as a receptionist. Really
big windows only a few feet away.

It was a cruddy day in August. All of a sudden, probably around 3:30 or
4:00 pm, the precipitation began. At first I thought it was a light
rain. But then I discovered it was really light snow. Just about
everybody from the company paid me a visit (for the first time) when they
heard the news. People wandered out into it from time to time to make
sure it really was snow, and I was even permitted to leave my desk for a
minute.

Of course, it didn't stick on the ground, and I doubt it was anywhere but
near the mountains (except maybe On the mountains). It was pretty
amazing. I told this story to a neighbor about a year ago who decided I
had hallucinated the whole experience.

But I really did see it.

Roxanne

Shoshana Edwards

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
At 11:38 PM 1/4/96 -0800, Roxanne Coyle wrote:

>I saw it snow here. It was, I guess, about seven or eight years ago. I
>was working at Infinity, the speaker company, as a receptionist. Really
>big windows only a few feet away.

Yea, yea. I have in on authority that it regularly snows in Brentwood,
parts of Beverly Hills, most of Hollywood, large areas of the Valley, and in
most of the high rise offices in Century City and Universal City. So what
were they playing out of those speakers, Roxanne?

Seriously, I know it snows. I saw some recently on the Palmdale hills. I
find it difficult to believe it happened in August, but hey! this is
Southern California. If OJ can be found not guilty, it can probably snow in
August.

Shoshana
who is still living in the land of all possibilities. I know this. I have
read Chopra.

Natalie Maynor

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
It snowed at least near, if not in, LA in December 1970. I remember because
we laughed at taking the southern route to British Columbia to avoid the
snow and then ending up in snow in Arizona and southern California. We
took the direct route home and saw little snow, mainly flurries in Wyoming.
Ah, youth. We drove straight through from Mississippi to California on
the way and from Idaho to Mississippi on the return, taking turns sleeping
in the back of a VW beetle. I still get New Mexico and Kansas mixed up
since they both are in my memory as dark interstates.
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)