Seamed phthongs

Tushar Samant

Dec 22, 1993, 1:19:29 AM12/22/93
Natalie says:
>> Is it monophthongal?
>
>That's debatable. There are those who contend that all tense vowels
>are diphthongs.

To rein this runaway lunacy: the simplest American English vowels are
either diphthongs (sit, cut, etc) or triphthongs (field, hour, etc). The
number of phthongs can be somewhat large, but rarely goes above 10 or 12
in one vowel. The limit can be occasionally observed in the speech of
certain older female residents of the south side of Chicago.

Monophthongs have never been heard in the US except in certain grocery-
shop scenes in The Simpsons.

tushar

Natalie Maynor

Dec 22, 1993, 7:50:51 AM12/22/93
> Monophthongs have never been heard in the US except in certain grocery-
> shop scenes in The Simpsons.

You never called my answering machine when the message started with "Hi."
Too late now. It now starts with "You" -- which is perhaps a diphthong.
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Bob Simmonds

Dec 22, 1993, 7:16:49 PM12/22/93
Someone once claimed that Pres. Coolidge ( a Vermonter) pronounced the
vowel in "cow" as a pentaphthong.
--
Bob Simmonds - Dr. R.T. Simmonds
190 East Beach Rd. Nordland, WA 98358-9622

Tushar Samant

Dec 23, 1993, 1:36:05 AM12/23/93
Natalie writes:
>> Monophthongs have never been heard in the US except in certain grocery-
>> shop scenes in The Simpsons.
>
>You never called my answering machine when the message started with "Hi."

Ah, but my phone bill already wipes out half my stipend. Otherwise, what
would I not give to hear your voice? You seem to sense somehow, despite
being Mutant City, that I will, alas, never call, for you have the temerity
to add:

>Too late now. It now starts with "You" -- which is perhaps a diphthong.

Too long and slack to be a mere diphthong, Mutant City.

And a gentle word about your tendency to write about dogs licking tears,
and suchlike. Ask yourself this, Natalie. Would YOU feel happy if you puked
on your keyboard after reading someone else's email, rendering it dysfunc-
tional? No! You would feel helpless, betrayed and angry. Do unto others what
you'd have others do unto you, Natalie.

tushar

Don Moore (813) 974-4078 S/C 574-4078

Dec 23, 1993, 10:03:03 AM12/23/93
*** Resending note of 12/23/93 10:57
>.....do unto other what

>you'd have others do unto you, Natalie.

>tushar

What???? You want her to lick your face? Barf!

Bandwidth Pig

Dec 23, 1993, 11:44:26 AM12/23/93
>and suchlike. Ask yourself this, Natalie. Would YOU feel happy if you puked
>on your keyboard after reading someone else's email, rendering it dysfunc-
>tional? No! You would feel helpless, betrayed and angry. Do unto others what

Well, Tushar, you just got to get one of these lickin' beagles, and take
care of that mess.

-abh
"And don't tell me dogs don't eat puke, I've seem em do it too many times."

Natalie Maynor

Dec 23, 1993, 2:26:12 PM12/23/93
> >Too late now. It now starts with "You" -- which is perhaps a diphthong.
> Too long and slack to be a mere diphthong, Mutant City.

You can call my answering machine and check to be sure...

> and suchlike. Ask yourself this, Natalie. Would YOU feel happy if you puked
> on your keyboard after reading someone else's email, rendering it dysfunc-

Perhaps you could ward off the accident by chewing on a poinsettia leaf
while reading?
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Carolyn Baird

Dec 23, 1993, 7:11:48 PM12/23/93
>Perhaps you could ward off the accident by chewing on a poinsettia leaf
>while reading?
> --Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Hmmmm..... I would have suggested oleander leaves.

Carolyn

Carolyn Baird

Dec 23, 1993, 7:20:15 PM12/23/93
>Well, Tushar, you just got to get one of these lickin' beagles, and take
>care of that mess.
>
>-abh
>"And don't tell me dogs don't eat puke, I've seem em do it too many times."

And that's not all I've seen them eat. Sorry Bernard, but some of your
relatives, *do* have disgusting habits. It doesn't pay to watch what your
dog eats too closely. It's guaranteed to turn you off your Christmas dinner.

Carolyn

Natalie Maynor

Dec 23, 1993, 8:16:26 PM12/23/93
> And that's not all I've seen them eat. Sorry Bernard, but some of your
> relatives, *do* have disgusting habits. It doesn't pay to watch what your
> dog eats too closely. It's guaranteed to turn you off your Christmas dinner.

Bernard has very good taste, but it's true that not all of his relatives
do. Vomit-eating is in good wolf tradition, of course. Did I mention
reading -The Secret World of Dogs-? Good book. I read it before wrapping
it up to give to my mother from xmas but may have to read it again since
I got another copy of it as a xmas present (opened early since I saw no
point in hauling wrapped presents to me a couple of hundred miles and
then hauling them back).
--Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Carolyn Baird

Dec 23, 1993, 9:08:53 PM12/23/93
>Bernard has very good taste, but it's true that not all of his relatives

I never doubted that for a moment.

>do. Vomit-eating is in good wolf tradition, of course. Did I mention
>reading -The Secret World of Dogs-? Good book. I read it before wrapping
>it up to give to my mother from xmas but may have to read it again since
>I got another copy of it as a xmas present (opened early since I saw no

From a member of the family? :-)

>point in hauling wrapped presents to me a couple of hundred miles and
>then hauling them back).
> --Natalie (may...@ra.msstate.edu)

Wise move!

Carolyn

Tushar Samant

Dec 23, 1993, 9:52:20 PM12/23/93
"Don Moore" writes:
>>.....do unto other what
>>you'd have others do unto you, Natalie.
>
>>tushar
>
>What???? You want her to lick your face? Barf!

Perhaps I was too precipitate in condemning it wholesale.

tushar

Tushar Samant

Dec 23, 1993, 10:08:59 PM12/23/93
Bandwidth Pig <b...@NETCOM.COM> writes:

>>and suchlike. Ask yourself this, Natalie. Would YOU feel happy if you puked
>>on your keyboard after reading someone else's email, rendering it dysfunc-

>>tional? No! You would feel helpless, betrayed and angry. Do unto others what
>

>Well, Tushar, you just got to get one of these lickin' beagles, and take
>care of that mess.

You know me, Harwell: too gentle to mention this directly. Inculcate some
gentleness in yourself, Harwell. It will land you in a zone, the likes of
which are seldom reproduced elsewhere. I guarantee this personally.

Yes, this includes mangy mutant mutts.

tushar

Tushar Samant

Dec 24, 1993, 1:03:21 AM12/24/93
At last, when I had all but given up hope, comes a missive from
Alien Central:

>> Too long and slack to be a mere diphthong, Mutant City.
>
>You can call my answering machine and check to be sure...

Perhaps not an entirely bad idea.

>> and suchlike. Ask yourself this, Natalie. Would YOU feel happy if you puked
>> on your keyboard after reading someone else's email, rendering it dysfunc-
>

>Perhaps you could ward off the accident by chewing on a poinsettia leaf
>while reading?

No, the ward-off responsibility is the poster's. Sorry.

tushar