WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE Reboot !

TSG, JOHNP, SC, 698-7327

Feb 23, 1995, 9:47:45 AM2/23/95
System: Unisys PW2 Advantage 386SX-20, 4 Mb RAM, 100 Mb HD.

Symptoms:

1. Upon initial boot-up, immediately after EMM386.EXE loads, the system
reboots. The EMM386 version is 4.44, from Windows 3.1.

2. If EMM386 ver 4.20.06x is used from DOS 5.0 the system will load,
however when installing Word for Windows 6.0, the following message
is displayed during setup:

* Invalid True Type Font Detected
* An application used a Truetype font that caused an error in Windows.
* Quit all applications, and then restart Windows.

3. I've also tried EMM386 ver 4.48 from DOS 6.2, NETROOM's memory manager
by Helix, and no memory manager at all, yet the outcome is identical to
Symptom 2.

Troubleshooting attempts:

1. PCPROBE and QAPLUS identified no errors. :(

2. Replaced RAM and BIOS - no help. :(

3. Completely repartitioned the system and loaded only DOS 5.0 and
Windows 3.1 (Using disks from an identical WORKING system) - same
results. :(

So...got any clues before it hits salvage ??

\-----------------------------/
John Przybycien
E-Mail: AF...@MEBGR.ANG.AF.MIL
\-----------------------------/

Joseph Burnside

Feb 23, 1995, 6:59:46 PM2/23/95
Have you been able to generate a BOOTLOG.TXT file? This is a file detailing
the successes and failures of the WIN boot sequence.

Try starting WIN with the /b switch to generate this report. You may also
want to try starting it with the /s switch, for Standard mode.

Usually, reinstalling does the trick. I wonder if a swap file remained
behind...?

Kasey Chang

Feb 24, 1995, 2:35:00 PM2/24/95
From: "TSG, JOHNP, SC, 698-7327" <jprz...@MEBGR.ANG.AF.MIL>

>System: Unisys PW2 Advantage 386SX-20, 4 Mb RAM, 100 Mb HD.
>Symptoms:
>1. Upon initial boot-up, immediately after EMM386.EXE loads, the system
> reboots. The EMM386 version is 4.44, from Windows 3.1.

Which HIMEM did you load? Some machines require a special HIMEM
switch for EMM386 for work.

>2. If EMM386 ver 4.20.06x is used from DOS 5.0 the system will load,
> however when installing Word for Windows 6.0, the following message
> is displayed during setup:

> * Invalid True Type Font Detected
> * An application used a Truetype font that caused an error in Windows.
> * Quit all applications, and then restart Windows.

Delete all font references except ARIAL in WIN.INI (just comment them
out with a semi-color ; in front of the line) then restart windows. If
that doesn't work comment out arial and put in Times New Roman or Courier.

>3. I've also tried EMM386 ver 4.48 from DOS 6.2, NETROOM's memory manager
> by Helix, and no memory manager at all, yet the outcome is identical to
> Symptom 2.

Windows problem is a windows problem. The font is corrupt.

>Troubleshooting attempts:
>1. PCPROBE and QAPLUS identified no errors. :(
>2. Replaced RAM and BIOS - no help. :(
>3. Completely repartitioned the system and loaded only DOS 5.0 and
> Windows 3.1 (Using disks from an identical WORKING system) - same
> results. :(

Hope above suggestions are of some use...

--Kasey Chang / kas...@discopy.com