Looking for a couple of CICS performance documentation reviwers

Mick Poil

Jun 17, 2021, 8:21:53 AM6/17/21
It has come to the time in my life when I am trying to prepare for an orderly transition from employment to retirement, although the actual date seems to keep being moved forwards as I keep putting it off - life is too good here at IBM Hursley! That includes passing on the baton for CICS VSE performance, which nobody I know at IBM seems to want to take. (Maybe I can understand why now with the recent announcement.)

So, I am putting together what I hope will be a comprehensive document covering what I know about CICS VSE performance and tuning. This will include edited and updated versions of presentations that have been published over the years, plus (appropriately edited) material that has only been available to IBMers until now. It will not only cover CICS design and performance, but also hardware, z/VSE and z/VM design and performance because you can't afford to ignore them when trying to fix CICS issues. It will also look at resilience issues that can affect CICS such as SOS, plus Capacity Planning considerations like what LSPR means and why the upgrade might not give you what you expected!

Trying to fit in with Agile working practices (whatever they are), the last thing I want to do is write the whole thing only to have people tell me it is badly constructed, does not make sense, is full of typos even after spell checking etc. So, I would appreciate it if just a couple of people would be prepared to act as reviewers. If you know nothing about CICS performance that would be a great test, and if you do, you could make sure I haven't made some stupid statements.

It will (eventually) include "did you really understand what you just read" questions based on things that I needed to know, plus a number of case studies to see if you can convert the reading into solving real-life-like CICS and even z/VSE performance problems. Once you see which tools I use you can even download them and have a play on your system and see if you can spot and fix problems, plus I would be happy to work with you on the collection and analysis. Obviously, it will take some time before I complete it as it is a large project for me whose typing speed is characters per minute.

Is anybody interested?

Thanks.

Mike

Mick Poil

Jun 17, 2021, 9:14:23 AM6/17/21
Well, I have already had several offers. That is not to say that I don't need any more, but if you were unsure about whether to help or not, you are welcome to choose not to. Not having done something collaborative like this before, I am not sure how many reviewers are a good idea to include. I guess I will find out!

Thanks.

Mike