Impending retirement

Mick Poil

Dec 29, 2021, 7:40:34 AM12/29/21
Exactly 50 years ago I was staring at the System/360 (hardware) Orientation self-study IBM course wondering what I had signed up for. As they say, the rest is history and it is now time to find another hobby.

I have about three months left at Hursley, albeit with a lot of holiday to take, and if there is anything I can legitimately do for you in that time you are welcome to ask. I will remain active on VSE-L after retirement.

Some of you I know from working on CICS problems and others I have met at conferences. Either way, I have had a great time here at IBM and will miss both activities. I particularly enjoyed working on CICS and general VSE performance problems, some of which were very challenging and required me to dig deeply into how CICS, VSE and VM work. Despite asking many times over the last few years, nobody in IBM seems interested in taking over my set of CICS/VSE/VM performance responsibilities. The 21CSW deal seems to have resulted in even less interest in VSE now, excepting in Boeblingen, of course.

Performance problems won’t stop happening and you are welcome to contact me privately if you have one and are getting nowhere fast. I would be happy to join web chats and provide some free advice, and may even consider more in-depth help if that is required.

Before retirement I expect to make some final changes to the performance tools here:

http://www.vmworkshop.org/mikepoil

You are welcome to use them and send me some data for analysis, but contact me privately before doing anything. The same offer applies after retirement for CICS problems where you don’t qualify for or don't receive support, for example, application-related CICS system dump analysis. I can't guarantee that I will be able to help, but there is no harm in asking me.

Take care and stay safe!

Mike Poil

Wendell Lovewell

Apr 25, 2022, 5:28:33 PM4/25/22
Mike, we did meet at (I think the last) WAVV. You've been a tremendous help to many of us, and to the platform in general.

We will all be worse without your continuing contributions. May God bless you richly in this next stage of life.

Best regards,
Wendell Lovewell
MacKinney Systems.