Source Control

Mike Riggs

Sep 2, 2021, 11:19:57 AM9/2/21

Hello VSE Listers,

Would you mind sharing what tools/products you use for source control in your z/VSE environments? Also what editing tools are in place.  We have been an ICCF shop from the get-go.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Mike

Sep 2, 2021, 11:27:19 AM9/2/21

Mike,

We have 2 shops using 2 different suites.

1: CA-centric using VOLLIE (editing) and Librarian (source code control).

1: BIM-centric using BIM-EDIT (editing and source code control). Source code control is an internal scripted versioning archiving method.

-David

David Stuart

Sep 2, 2021, 11:28:50 AM9/2/21
Morning Mike,

We use Bim-Edit here. The programmers use the feature (don't remember what it's called) to track changes to the JCL and Program source, It tells them who and when made the changes. Bim-Edit also has a Check-out/Check-in capabilities, although we don't use that feature.

Dave

Herczeg, Zoltan

Sep 2, 2021, 11:30:26 AM9/2/21

Mike, we use Bimedit for editing and source version control. Bimedit has a check in and check out feature we have incorporated into some rexx programs to make sure only one programmer can update source at a time. We have also set up  rexx programs to handle moving program phase and source into production.

If you might be starting over I remember vse sessions at wavv that talked about using Eclipse and ANT. VSE Navigator would probably figure into that scenario as well.

Thanks,

Zoltan

Ext. 5262

Sep 2, 2021, 11:34:34 AM9/2/21
We use the built-in VM change tracking system 'update' with Xedit under
VM.. It does require some front-end REXX to make it all automatic, but
along with SFS member-security, it can do a lot.

Tony Thigpen