Children Out of Wedlock

1 view

the files of damage incorporated

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, David R. Burwasser wrote:

-->
-->The meaning I took from this is that the very category "teen-age" (as in
-->"teen-age mother," etc) is bogus when it is used to shake people up over
-->adolescent sexuality.

totla agreeance here.

-->Because a 19-year-old woman with a child is an adult
-->in no different situation than a 24-year-old woman with a child, and the
-->same marital status, family income, etc. Batching the 19-year-old together

this, i can't say i agree with.as a ninteen year old, i think that most of
my 24 year old friends (while none of us are really ready to have kids
for the most part) are much more prepared to have kids than i. by the same
note, i could handle a child better than my fifteen (well, nearly fifteen)
year old sister. yes, the gap between nineteen and 24 is not nearly so
gret as the gap between fifteen and nineteen, and i do feel on level with
most 24 year olds i know, but usually, by 24, your life is a bit more
static, more conducive to having a child. however, if at this point in my
life i did get pregnant (god forbid) and i did choose to bear the chid
(not likely) i would be capable (much more so than my fifteen y/o sis) of
finding a stable, if not invigorating, job, getting a small apartment, and
taking care of my child. (although the only circumstances under which i
would actually bear a child would result in my not being the primary
caregiver... but that's another story entirely.)

whereas, in four of five years, i'll probably already have a
semi-permanent dwelling (as opposed to moving every few months like i do
right now) and a semi-stable job (as opposed to job in summer, school in
fall-winter-spring.

hrmmm... i am the youngest person on this list, AFAICT... interesting.

-kat

"i'd kill myself, ||kat's quality of || " life is beautiful!
but i'm too miserable." ||___life rating___|| may this moment never end!"