April 19th Chalice Lighting

1 view

Bob Hurst

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

I shall read the following as I light our chalice this morning:

Three years ago today a bomb forever changed Oklahoma City and this church. Two
members of our church family died that day, and a third died just recently from
lingering effects of that bomb. We will never forget them. As a humanist, I was
devastated, for this horrible act struck at the very core of my faith. And, yet,
literally before the dust had settled, not only had my faith been restored, but it
had grown as I stood in the center of a growing network of helping hands and
loving hearts. UUs from all over the world pitched in with money and hugs and
good wishes that demonstrated to me that the actions of a crazed, hate-filled and
isolated person could never prevail in a world where people loved and cared. As
our lives continue to unfold and April 19, 1995 slips further into the past, on
this day I light this flame to honor all those who love together and shared our
pain and who continue to strive to make this a better world for everyone..

Bob