Tricksters

Carol E. Collin

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

I do some storytelling to various groups, so have looked at materials about
the Trickster figure. Did anyone mention Anansi, the spider, from West
Africa? In my experience with stories, the Tricksters are all male and are
also either the creators of the world for the cultures where they reside or
the bringers of what people need. For example, Raven brought water and
light and made the lakes and rivers; Coyote brought fire to the people,
etc. The Trickster can be made a complete fool of, but often wins out
anyway. He can also be bested by women on occasion, usually because of very
human foibles and foolishness. Sometimes with Coyote, the woman is the wise
one and Coyote the fool! Every one of my Middle Eastern students (I'm a
teacher next to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA; we have kids
from a lot of other countries) knows about Nasr-ed-Din Hodja, a FUNNY little
man who is a major Trickster in their culture.

Carol Collin

Sherna Comerford

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Coyote brought fire to the people,

Interesting. In the story I heard, it was brought by Spider Grandmother.
Is she in the same cycle of stories? I haven't heard the coyote story,
although I do enjoy (and sometimes tell) some of his.

The trickster - hero - god that I enjoy most is Glooscap. (Algonquin, but
he may be ubiquitous in the northeast. I'm not sure.)

--
******** Sherna Comerford ***********************************
******** she...@capaccess.org *** VISIT THE NATURE CENTER ***

Shumaker, Daniel

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

This thread is quite interesting to me. In Muskogee legend, the trickster
is Cufe (pronounced CHOO-fee). I remember my father telling me the story
of how Cufe brought fire to humans (aparently against the Master of
Breath's instructions, but right in line with His plan.) Knowing the
satanic nature of Cufe, the Great Spirit knew he could count on him to do
just the opposite of what was instructed - and absolutely forbid him to
give the secret of fire to the humans.

Cufe was the most clever and beautiful animal in the woods. He feared
nothing, and loved to show off his beautiful long tail. As a punishment
for giving fire to humans, the Master of Breath scorched and singed Cufe's
tail off, and made him the most fearful animal in the woods - made to run
and hide. especially from human beings, forever. But, you can still see
him if you go to the woods, stubby little tail and all.

Cufe is the Muskogee word for "rabbit".

Peace,
Danny