UUS-L Digest - 16 Apr 1998 to 17 Apr 1998

NCWP

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

In a message dated 4/17/98 3:01:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<<
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 06:59:29 -0500
From: Jim Hermann <jher...@AIS.NET>
Subject: New Boy Scouts Declaration of Religious Principle

It looks like the Boy Scouts of America may have responded quietly to
criticism that they are too sectarian.

The UUA and others have criticized the BSA for some time about the
wording of their Declaration of Relgious Principles (DRP). All adult
volunteers must sign a statement that they adhere to the DRP.

The wording used to be:

>Boy Scouts of America
>Declaration of Religious Principle
>
>Clause 1. The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member
>can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an
>obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath, the member
>declares, "on my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my
>country and to obey the Scout Law." The recognition of God as the
>ruling and leading power in the universe and the
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[i.e. supreme being]
>grateful acknowledgement of His favors and blessings are
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[i.e. male deity]
>necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome
>precepts in the education of the growing members. No matter
>what the religious faith of the members may be, this fundamental need
>of good citizenship should be kept before them. The Boy Scouts of
>America, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training
>of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude
>toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and the
>organization or group with which the member is connected shall give
>definite attention to religious life.
>
>[^^ and comments added]

According to a BSA source, the wording now states:

>Declaration of Religious Principle

>The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the
>best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and
>therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member,
>but is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious
training.
>The Boy Scouts of America's policy is that the home and the organization
>or group with which the member is connected shall give definite attention
>to religious life.

Can anyone confirm the change?

Jim

Jim,

I'll check into this - my nonUU husband is active in scouting at the district
level and he is not aware of any change but he said he would look into it. He
did say that BSA is changing the Explorer program. There will be a separate
program to provide life/career experiences (units affiliated with
firestations, police, etc) and this program will not require DRP.

Nancy