Inherit the Wind

Sue Buckler

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

Inherit the Wind

Continuing the virtual-reality check between Sherna, Jon, Greg and me,
and doing this from memory, I guess I gotta say that, while I'd like to
be a thin 30-year-old dressed in Mexican ethnic, as Jon said he expected
me to be, I'm really a 64-year-old, usually attired in House of
Consignment Shop. (Jon only said what he *expected*, not what he found.)
Nevertheless, I DO believe I have the SOUL of 30-yr-old activist
anthropologist!

Jon, meanwhile, is certainly NOT as he described himself -- something
about round with big ears. Jon, I did not notice your ears at all, and
you impressed me as quite a normal, regular-lookin' kind of guy. What I
noticed was that you have a rather wry kind of smile, which is exactly
what you project over e-space, a tentative sort of approach that says,
"I'm not sure exactly what life means, but it certainly can be amusing."

Greg asks for more information about the impressions people had/have of
him. Both on the list and in person, he's a gentleman. Maybe that's an
old fashioned word that makes him sound old, which he surely isn't, but
it's the best word I can come up with. And he's open, as in not hiding
anything. Friendly. But not impulsive nor intrusive. That's how seemed
on the list, and that's how he seems in person.

I find it really hard to describe stuff like this -- stuff you have more
of a "sense of" than an idea about. But, that 's my two cents worth.
Regards to all, embodied or not, Sue

Jon Angel

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 "around" 12:53:00 -0500
Sue Buckler <sue.b...@IDEALINK.WASHINGTON.DC.US> added

>Continuing the virtual-reality check between Sherna, Jon, Greg and me,
>and doing this from memory, I guess I gotta say that, while I'd like to
>be a thin 30-year-old dressed in Mexican ethnic, as Jon said he expected
>me to be, I'm really a 64-year-old, usually attired in House of
>Consignment Shop. (Jon only said what he *expected*, not what he found.)
>Nevertheless, I DO believe I have the SOUL of 30-yr-old activist
>anthropologist!

I was plain afraid to say the wrong thing... I thought about it over and over
and finally *didn't* say. My original paragraph might have looked like
this:

<<Before going to Inherit the Wind two weeks ago I knew I would know
Sherna! Sue Buckler was much more a mystery but her person matched
her email personna (the radicalism we spoke of inre Tlaltelolco and
Chiapas made me imagine a thin intense woman in her 30s dressed in
ropa indigena.) She turned out to be a strikingly beautiful woman in
her (50s? 60s?) dressed more conventionally. I had this odd feeling
that our paths had crossed somewhere in the past, perhaps at the old
Discovery at UC of Rockville, or as an LRY advisor in the late 60s.>>

>Jon, meanwhile, is certainly NOT as he described himself -- something
>about round with big ears. Jon, I did not notice your ears at all, and
>you impressed me as quite a normal, regular-lookin' kind of guy. What I
>noticed was that you have a rather wry kind of smile, which is exactly
>what you project over e-space, a tentative sort of approach that says,
>"I'm not sure exactly what life means, but it certainly can be amusing."

I had written: "Of course I'm convinced I come across as a baleful hound dog
with ears
and other features drooping..." thinking more of how I felt at that moment than
any metaphor to my actual appearance. I like your 'wry smile'. A newspaper
article
once described my father as elfin, which surprisingly I liked. Perhaps we
should
all send scanned photos to one person's web page...

I think I need to conquer or at least counter the fears and the tentativeness...

Did you see this morning's Post about the "Spy Network Stuns Mexicans?"
You can read it on the web at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/digest/int3.htm
It sounds as though the Mexican government has been playing Big Brother
in ways we might find hard to imagine.

'da Best! Jon Angel