USS REXX - BPXWUNIX interruption

Jiri Vasek

Aug 24, 2021, 9:31:34 AM8/24/21
Hello,

does there exist any easy way to interrupt / send a new line command
(a.k.a. ENTER) to a bpxwunix function?

I need to execute an openssl s_client command however the function gets
stuck whenever it reaches a SSL certificate.

I was able to implement pretty easy workaround in a Perl but I am not able
to find any way how to manage it once calling the bpxwunix function in
REXX.

Perl example:
my @command = `echo "\n" | $openssl_s_client | $openssl_x509 2> /dev/null`
;

Any advice please?

Kind regards,
Jiri

send email to LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Paul Gilmartin

Aug 24, 2021, 4:01:49 PM8/24/21
(Cross-posting to TSO-REXX and MVS-OE where you might find more expertise.)
> On Aug 24, 2021, at 07:31:24, Jiri Vasek wrote:
>
> does there exist any easy way to interrupt / send a new line command
> (a.k.a. ENTER) to a bpxwunix function?
>
> I need to execute an openssl s_client command however the function gets
> stuck whenever it reaches a SSL certificate.
>
> I was able to implement pretty easy workaround in a Perl but I am not able
> to find any way how to manage it once calling the bpxwunix function in
> REXX.
>
> Perl example:
> my @command = `echo "\n" | $openssl_s_client | $openssl_x509 2> /dev/null`;
>
> Any advice please?

Partition the problem. Does your method work when invoked directly from a
real shell (e.g. ssh MVS from desktop)? I fear TSO and VTAM will do their
beware. I fear VTAM and TSO will do their worst to thwart interaction.

Tell us more. What is your BPXWUNIX command? I'll suggest, with little hope:
ALLOCATE DD(STDIN) DSN(*) REUSE
RC BPXWDYN( your-command, 'DD:STDIN' )

-- gil