IRXSUBCM

Joseph Reichman

May 3, 2021, 5:48:12 PM5/3/21
I have been trying all sorts of variations to use this service and always get a rc x’20’
In R15
I saw Peter Farley Post on using this service
Rexx the one thing that I think might be a problem is that the routine itself is in the library activated by TSOLIB don’t know if this would be an issue

Thanks

send email to LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Paul Gilmartin

May 3, 2021, 7:00:39 PM5/3/21
On 2021-05-03, at 15:48:01, Joseph Reichman wrote:

> I have been trying all sorts of variations to use this service and always get a rc x’20’
> In R15
> I saw Peter Farley Post on using this service
> Rexx the one thing that I think might be a problem is that the routine itself is in the library activated by TSOLIB don’t know if this would be an issue

What are you trying to do?

Please post your code (or even one variation).

-- gil

Farley, Peter x23353

May 3, 2021, 7:37:08 PM5/3/21
Wow, you (or the search engine) did some real digging, that thread goes back to 2004. I tried to go back into my memory vault to retrieve what exactly I was trying to do there, and I still can’t put my finger on what I was up to. (Memory is the second thing to go and I don’t remember the first thing . . . )

As I said in my last reply on that old thread, it is the A(A(string)) argument that is the problem. AFAIK there isn't a way to get that parameter created starting with the Rexx program at the top.

I think the only easy way to do it is with an assembler stub that will convert the input A(string) parameter from the Rexx program into A(A(string)) before loading and calling IRXSUBCM dynamically.

I don’t think I ever finished whatever little project it was that had me wanting to call IRXSUBCM from Rexx, so there isn't any code I can offer to help you. I'm afraid you're on your own with this one.

Peter

May 3, 2021, 8:11:55 PM5/3/21
Thanks for getting back my ultimate goal is get an environment that will do an attach

Why with an attach I can have recovery / Estae

It’s seems like the outtrap only captures tso commands

When I get an e37 I am able to get the the code in the RC variable
However the messages because they are z/os aren’t trapped think if I had an Estae

I wouldn't get the messages

> On May 3, 2021, at 7:37 PM, Farley, Peter x23353 <Peter....@broadridge.com> wrote:
>
> Wow, you (or the search engine) did some real digging, that thread goes back to 2004. I tried to go back into my memory vault to retrieve what exactly I was trying to do there, and I still can’t put my finger on what I was up to. (Memory is the second thing to go and I don’t remember the first thing . . . )

Paul Gilmartin

May 3, 2021, 8:45:43 PM5/3/21
On 2021-05-03, at 18:11:43, Joseph Reichman wrote:

> Thanks for getting back my ultimate goal is get an environment that will do an attach
> Why with an attach I can have recovery / Estae

ATTACH is an interesting idea. At times I've wished for
an ATTCH that would let the subtask run asynchronusly,
concurrent with the Rexx parent. There are comlications:
o Fielding POST of the completion ECB and DETACHing.
o Avoiding assumptions about undocumented operation
of Rexx storage management.

> It’s seems like the outtrap only captures tso commands
>
> When I get an e37 I am able to get the the code in the RC variable
> However the messages because they are z/os aren’t trapped think if I had an Estae
>
> I wouldn't get the messages

But why bother with creating a command environment rather than
simply LINKMVS to an assembler routine that sets an ESTAE and
ATTCHes? But beware: there's no guarantee that pointers to
any Rexx-owned objects will remain valid. Copy the content
before the ATTCH if the child process needs it.

-- gil