Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Split Screen ISPF in Rexx

32 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Joseph Reichman

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 09:27:2019/07/2021
para
Hi

Depending on a user selection I may have a long running task ( this is actually a Rexx exec)
So I thought a good approach would be to split the screen ( I’m talking from a Rexx exec)
And a have that exec / task run in the split

Thing is I’m not sure how to do this

I thought about ISPSTART I know it takes a cmd

I tried both ADDRESS ISPEXEC and ADDRESS TSO

Both come up with errors

Thanks

send email to LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Jeremy Nicoll

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 09:41:1619/07/2021
para
On Mon, 19 Jul 2021, at 14:27, Joseph Reichman wrote:
> Depending on a user selection I may have a long running task ( this is
> actually a Rexx exec)
> So I thought a good approach would be to split the screen ( I’m talking
> from a Rexx exec)
> And a have that exec / task run in the split

It's not normal for the programmer to take away the decision to split
a screen from the user, who should be able to decide whether to
split, and if so where, when they choose to.

For all you know the user would already have split the screen before
running your command.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Itschak Mugzach

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 09:43:0819/07/2021
para
בתאריך יום ב׳, 19 ביולי 2021 ב-16:27 מאת Joseph Reichman <
reich...@gmail.com>:
--

*| **Itschak Mugzach | Director | SecuriTeam Software **|** IronSphere
Platform* *|* *Information Security Continuous Monitoring for Z/OS, zLinux

*|* *Email**: i_mu...@securiteam.co.il **|* *Mob**: +972 522 986404 **|*
*Skype**: ItschakMugzach **|* *Web**: www.Securiteam.co.il **|*

Frank Clarke

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 09:53:0319/07/2021
para
Run it in background.  You can't run a process on one split while you work merrily away on a different split.

Paul Gilmartin

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 10:02:4319/07/2021
para
On 2021-07-19, at 07:27:01, Joseph Reichman wrote:

> Depending on a user selection I may have a long running task ( this is actually a Rexx exec)
> So I thought a good approach would be to split the screen ( I’m talking from a Rexx exec)
> And a have that exec / task run in the split

TSO strives frantically to prevent rrunning tasks in background. (I believe it's an
integrity thing.)

In Rexx you might try ADDRESS SYSCALL "spawn" ...

-- gil

Mike Shaw

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 11:03:0419/07/2021
para
ISPF has one main task, ISPMAIN, and for each logical screen split a
subtask, ISPTASK. Two splits = two subtasks and one main task.

The logical screen subtasks are either waiting (on terminal input) or
waiting on a POST from ISPMAIN.

You could have your code, already running as a PRB under ISPTASK, attach
its own subtask, but you will have to use WAIT/POST to know when that
subtask is finished doing its thing and have the attaching code (as
ISPTASK) handle the screen I/O for that logical screen via ISPF. Not
trivial.

Mike Shaw
MVS/QuickRef Support Group
Chicago-Soft, Ltd.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 9:27 AM Joseph Reichman <reich...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Farley, Peter x23353

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 11:11:2419/07/2021
para
If your "long running task" is started under TSO/ISPF, you cannot expect that the user who started that task can continue with other interactive TSO/ISPF work while that task continues running behind the scene. TSO/ISPF is effectively single-tasking from the terminal user's perspective - once you start a "long running task" (e.g., ISPF 3.4 where you use wildcards in the HLQ) your terminal is locked and stays that way until the task Is done.

I do not believe there is any way to "start a subtask and let me continue interactive sessions" available in current TSO/ISPF technology.

Peter

I saw Mike Shaw Post on my IRS e-mail but not on my personal account (AM not
able post messages from IRS email). I am not saying I am 100 % sure can do
it I am thinking while I attach a subtask which is a PRB I can maybe do a
SELECT PANEL(ISPFPRIM) -----Original Message----- From: TSO REXX Discussion
List On Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353 Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 11:11 AM
To: TSO-...@VM.MARIST.EDU Subject: Re: [TSO-REXX] Split Screen ISPF in Rexx
If your "long running task" is started under TSO/ISPF, you cannot expect
that the user who started that task can continue with other interactive
TSO/ISPF work while that task continues running behind the scene. TSO/ISPF
is effectively single-tasking from the terminal user's perspective - once
you start a "long running task" (e.g., ISPF 3.4 where you use wildcards in
the HLQ) your terminal is locked and stays that way until the task Is done.
I do not believe there is any way to "start a subtask and let me continue
interactive sessions" available in current TSO/ISPF technology. Peter
-----Original Message----- From: TSO REXX Discussion List On Behalf Of
Joseph Reichman Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:27 AM To:
TSO-...@VM.MARIST.EDU Subject: Split Screen ISPF in Rexx EXTERNAL EMAIL Hi
Depending on a user selection I may have a long running task ( this is
actually a Rexx exec) So I thought a good approach would be to split the
screen ( I'm talking from a Rexx exec) And a have that exec / task run in
the split Thing is I'm not sure how to do this I thought about ISPSTART I
know it takes a cmd I tried both ADDRESS ISPEXEC and ADDRESS TSO Both come
up with errors Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------- For
TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX This message and any
attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete
the message and any attachments from your system.

Robin

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 12:31:3619/07/2021
para
If the desire to SPLIT had been my issue, I would have looked it up in the ISPF user manual. I would also check what the (system portion of the) ISPF command table invokes.

On 2021-07-19, at 15:08:44, Don Leahy <don....@LEACOM.CA> wrote:

> The traditional method for launching long running tasks is to submit batch
> job. That is the only way you can keep doing interactive stuff while
> another task is running. That is what batch is for. 😀

Sigh. The designers of TSO targeted a pointt in spscetimee where
carbon was cheaper than iron. Nowadays, silicon is cheaper than carbon.
(Relattively.) IBM once developed a product witth a better UI. They
sold it to Lenovo. "traditional" is the govrening word.

Run two sessions. I believe TSO allows that nowadays. Submit the
batch job from one. Or run it in foreground from the subsidiary
session. Let it idle until NOTIFY. I believee NOTIFY
uses TPUT and can't target the exact submitting session. Bad
design, again. Other vendors have done better, for decades.

-- gil

Seymour J Metz

não lida,
19 de jul. de 2021, 21:38:1319/07/2021
para
I used to solve that by running batch ISPF with WSA. I hate the decision to pull the plug on it.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

I *kind* of understand the IBM decision to pull WSA (unsupported compiler and/or library(ies) I thought I read somewhere, plus "not strategic direction", whatever that may mean), but I do wish they would open-source the code so that the community could update it to work on modern systems (including Windows 10 as well as Posix systems).

Not holding my breath, of course.

Peter

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://mason.gmu.edu/*smetz3__;fg!!Ebr-cpPeAnfNniQ8HSAI-g_K5b7VKg!buBVP_3wmmlEXneSuHV0sxt1jrkJhzjse0qCM34cHK6BXgJ8pdzgiyM_kqPngXoz-eMFdA$

> The traditional method for launching long running tasks is to submit
> batch job. That is the only way you can keep doing interactive stuff
> while another task is running. That is what batch is for. 😀

Sigh. The designers of TSO targeted a pointt in spscetimee where carbon was cheaper than iron. Nowadays, silicon is cheaper than carbon.
(Relattively.) IBM once developed a product witth a better UI. They sold it to Lenovo. "traditional" is the govrening word.

Run two sessions. I believe TSO allows that nowadays. Submit the batch job from one. Or run it in foreground from the subsidiary session. Let it idle until NOTIFY. I believee NOTIFY uses TPUT and can't target the exact submitting session. Bad design, again. Other vendors have done better, for decades.

Seymour J Metz

não lida,
20 de jul. de 2021, 00:07:4120/07/2021
para
What is the PC side of WSA written in?

Even without open-sourcing the code, if they kept the ISPF side and documented the protocol a QT5 implementation would be feasible.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3