Cycling in England

Minna-Maaria Vuollo

Mar 17, 1995, 1:02:24 AM3/17/95
We are Finnish couple planning to spend our summer vacation in England
and preferrably spend it by cycling . Before we get too excited about
trip we would like to know if this is a good idea after all.There are
some questions that need to be answered before we decide anything.
1.How is traffic in English roads?We plan to cycle around the Cotswold area.
2.How expensive/cheap are the B & B s?
3.Would you recommend such cycling trip?
4.Anything we should know?
Your help would be greatly appreciated by two cyclist from Finland.
THANK YOU in advance!!!!
T.Minna-Maaria & Jarmo

Monica Barreto

Mar 19, 1995, 12:14:17 PM3/19/95
Hi Minna-Maaria and Jarmo,

Your trip sounds wonderful. I just thought I'd let you know about our
experience. My father and I actually drove through most of the Lake
District, Cotswolds and other areas in the north. It was somewhat nerve
wracking because of the British drivers. I very rarely saw bicylists, but
then perhaps it was October and too late to be cycling.

I grew up in NYC and learned to drive a car and ride a bicylce in the
streets of NY, so I'm used to fairly hairy situations, but England was
still a little difficult. The roads are 1) very very narrow, 2) have no
sidewalks or border (they have hedgerows), 3) hurtled along by the
drivers at speeds that are much much too fast for my taste. In other words, I
would be leary of traveling by bicyle, although it has always been my dream
to bike from London to Edinburgh some day.

The countryside is beautiful, B&B's are available that are very reasonable
($30 a night for two), breakfasts are usually very hearty and last until
dinnertime, the people are friendly, and the sites interesting.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Otherwise,
have a great trip.

Monica Barreto
mbar...@mailstorm.dot.gov

Wedge

Mar 19, 1995, 12:38:45 PM3/19/95
On Sun, 19 Mar 1995, Monica Barreto wrote:

> Hi Minna-Maaria and Jarmo,

> I grew up in NYC and learned to drive a car and ride a bicylce in the
> streets of NY, so I'm used to fairly hairy situations, but England was
> still a little difficult. The roads are 1) very very narrow, 2) have no
> sidewalks or border (they have hedgerows), 3) hurtled along by the
> drivers at speeds that are much much too fast for my taste. In other words, I
> would be leary of traveling by bicyle, although it has always been my dream
> to bike from London to Edinburgh some day.

I wouldn't say that UK roads are as bad as all that... though I do
know that for people used to the wider roads of the U.S. it can be a
little unsettling, though the roads are much the same as the rest of
Europe.

LUM LUM LUM LUM LUM - T.R....@herts.ac.uk (tim darby)
LUM LUM LUM LUMLU LULUM - U.Herts Urusei Yatsura fan club here
LUM LUM LUM LUMLUM LUMLUM - Any contributions appreciated.
LUMLUMLUM LUMLUMLU LUM LUMLU LUM -
LUMLUMLUM LUMLUM LUM LUM LUM - NED Hatfield Branch Leaf-picker
http://www.herts.ac.uk/~cs2bj

Jan Verstricht

Mar 20, 1995, 2:50:48 AM3/20/95
Hello,

Although it is now yet almost 13 years ago, I have a very good souvenir of a
bicycle trip in England (we visited south England, so that we could start
our trip directly after arrival from Ostend).

>1.How is traffic in English roads?We plan to cycle around the Cotswold area.

Just avoid the main roads (A-roads), so be equipped with a detailed map.

>2.How expensive/cheap are the B & B ?
On our trip, we used Youth Hostels, which have a good record in England. The
last
years (at least in other countries), many hostels offer also family rooms. I
remember that B&B were in different price ranges (depending on e.g. area,...).

>3.Would you recommend such cycling trip? -> OF COURSE.
>4.Anything we should know? Be prepared for the rain, although we never had
any rain
during the day during our 10-day trip.

Enjoy your trip.
* Jan VERSTRICHT *
* jver...@sckcen.be *
* *
* SCK-CEN *
* Waste&Disposal *
* *
* Boeretang 200 tel: +32 14 33 27 87 *
* B-2400 MOL fax: +32 14 32 12 79 *
* Belgium *

april....@saltermitchell.com

Dec 7, 2013, 5:14:35 PM12/7/13
Minna-Maaria -- I hope you receive this message. Please contact me at april....@saltermitchell.com .. I want to be sure that I know the date you are arriving and can help you with your trip. I have lost your email so I do not have your address.