[TRNSPLNT] Topomax/ Neurontin/ Neuropathy/ Headaches (migrane)

Don Branton

Feb 18, 2003, 1:55:54 AM2/18/03
In a message dated 02/17/2003 8:51:22 PM Central Standard Time, Gov...@aol.com writes:

Is anybody taking TOPOMAX?. My Neurologyst prescribed me to take TOPOMAX and I want to know if anybody is taking it and if they have had any side effects with it. Thanks in advance.

I have been taking Topomax for headache control along with Zomig. I also have neuropathy bilaterally in both feet from an initial toxicity to Neoral, continued with Prograf. I am now on Rapamune.

The Topomax was not to difficult to get use at the 25 mg and 50 mg dose as it was increased weekly at first. The neuropathy seemed to be more severe at 75 mg. and the head was not as clear. The headaches did seem to be noticeably better with less  Zomig needed to treat the primary and the rebound headaches.

Just this past week my neurologist at my transplant center prescribed Neurontin 300 mg to possibly control both the headaches and the neuropathy. After first trying it, I was so  dizzy and sleepy the next day, the next two day at a lower 100 mg. dosage were some better. I have not taken it tonight and thinking of discontinuing it and possible going back to the Topamax if anything. My local nephrologist had some questions as to the effects of the Neurontin on the kidney as well. I need to double check this with the Transplant nephrologist at the same center as the neurologist?

These are my brief expereinces with these two drugs. Has anyone else had any success and in treating headaches and neuropathy. With these or any other medications. I am also very interested in the post earlier on Alpha Lipoic Acid used in Europe.  Hopefully, I  get away from one more drug with side effects.

Thank for any suggestions or information,

Don Branton
KTx  9/25/2000

HD Saver

Feb 18, 2003, 2:17:16 AM2/18/03
In a message dated 2/18/2003 12:56:20 AM Central Standard Time, Don...@aol.com writes:

Has anyone else had any success and in treating headaches and neuropathy. With these or any other medications.

i had migraine symptoms on and off for a number of years pre-tx.  before i developed esrd, i was using ibuprofen, per my doc.  (and, yes, i know what its impact is on the renal system).  then my doc prescribed butalbital (phenobarbitol, tylenol and caffeine).  used it as a preventative and took 2 tabs before bed every night; also took it when a headache started coming on.  more intense headaches started nightly in what seemed (in retrospect) to be a precursor to going on dialysis when my kidneys finally gave out.  it worked excellently, and i had no side effects. i haven't had a headache like i had been having since the night prior to my kptx.  my tx clinic has approved me using butalbital in the event that i need it again, but i haven't had a use for it in 6 months.

btw, i started using butalbital in conjunction with zocor. lasix, neurontin (for neuropathy) and 4 high dosages of bp medications, including verapamil, cozaar and ??

currently am taking cellcept (1000 mg 2x/day, 6 mg prograf 2x/day, 10 mg prednisone 1x/day, labetelol 100 mg 2x/day, 20 mg zocor 1x/day, 350 mg aspirin 1x/day,  bactrim 1x/day)

harvey saver

Larry Krzewinski

Feb 18, 2003, 4:28:32 PM2/18/03
On 17 Feb 2003 22:55:54 -0800, Don...@aol.com (Don Branton) wrote:

>Just this past week my neurologist at my transplant center prescribed
>Neurontin 300 mg to possibly control both the headaches and the neuropathy.
>After first trying it, I was so dizzy and sleepy the next day, the next two
>day at a lower 100 mg. dosage were some better. I have not taken it tonight
>and thinking of discontinuing it and possible going back to the Topamax if
>anything. My local nephrologist had some questions as to the effects of the
>Neurontin on the kidney as well. I need to double check this with the
>Transplant nephrologist at the same center as the neurologist?

I've been taking Neurotonin for several years for my peripheral
neuropathy. My dose at 300 mg TID is not considered a high dose. You
just may need to get adjusted to the drug. It does seem to work
fairly well in controlling my neuropathy. My neuropathy was also a
result of cyclosporine toxicity. I was also prescribed amitriptyline
for the neuropathy. It works hand in hand with the Neurotonin. I had
to discontinue the amitriptyline due to low blood pressure upon
standing from a sitting position.

There have been no adverse effects to my transplanted kidney or
transplanted liver due to the Neurotonin.

Larry

buyphar...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2013, 6:00:29 AM9/4/13
Neurontin is an anticonvulsant that is used for treating postherpetic neuralgia and for the treatment of seizers. There are a lot of non-approved uses for this drug. These include cocaine withdrawal, hiccups, alcohol withdrawal, hyperhidrosis, restless leg syndrome, diabetic neuropathy, headaches, fibromyalgia and hot flashes. Gabapentin or Neurontin belongs to the class of medicines called anti-epileptics. Gabapentin does not treat epilepsy and only acts to control seizures as long as the medicineis taken. This drug is available in both capsule and tablet form.

New York

Call Us on our TOLL FREE Customer Services Number. 1-855-251-3111

E - Mail - drugpillstore@gmail

Website - http://www.drugpillstore.com/anti-convulsant-medication/neurontin-gabapentin-tablets.html