recommendations for video in ToolBook

Simon Price

May 10, 2004, 6:23:50 AM5/10/04
I don't do much video work nowadays so I thought I'd check to see what
people are using for video in ToolBook.

My requirements are:

1. It works in the normal stage object.
2. That I can use the built-in openscript commands like mmPlay, mmStop,
etc. (I have a lot of stable code built around these that I'd like to
reuse).
3. Good compression and good quality for talking heads at 320x200-ish size.
4. Works on all versions of Windows (even the prehistoric ones)

I've frequently used Indeo 5.1 in the past so that's my current baseline.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Simon Price, Technical Consultant, Internet Development Group
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/aboutus/staff?search=ecsnp

Philip Sellen

May 10, 2004, 7:42:23 AM5/10/04
Simon,
we've recently used .AVI file formats with Indeo. We experimented with
some other file types to reduce size but the trade off was quality and
compatibility across system requirements. Consequently, I think your
best bet will be .AVI.

Yours,
Philip

_____________________
Philip Sellen
Senior Dental Instructor
University of Bristol Dental School, Lower Maudlin Street,
Bristol BS1 2LY
Tel: 0117 928 4405 FAX: 0117 928 4780 Email: P.N.S...@bristol.ac.uk

Ulrich Diekhake

May 10, 2004, 9:03:25 AM5/10/04
Hallo Simon,

I use *.AVI with indeo 5.1. under Toolbook 6.5 - but not with mmplay...
but with MCI Commands. Runs pretty well on ME, NT4 and XP - also in a
Network. The Compression allows me to put a cbt with abaout 30 minutes
video on a C D.

Regards
Ulrich Diekhake
Muenster, Germany

Max Richings

May 10, 2004, 6:12:49 PM5/10/04
Morning Simon

The AVI format works well with your requirments .... have you had a look at the DivX codec for compressing yopur video matrial ....

R's
Max Richings

I don't do much video work nowadays so I thought I'd check to see what
people are using for video in ToolBook.

My requirements are:

1. It works in the normal stage object.
2. That I can use the built-in openscript commands like mmPlay, mmStop,
etc. (I have a lot of stable code built around these that I'd like to
reuse).
3. Good compression and good quality for talking heads at 320x200-ish size.
4. Works on all versions of Windows (even the prehistoric ones)

I've frequently used Indeo 5.1 in the past so that's my current baseline.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Simon Price, Technical Consultant, Internet Development Group
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/aboutus/staff?search=ecsnp

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Please scan this e-mail message and any attachments before opening
for viruses. Kangan Batman TAFE does not accept any responsibility for
problems caused by viruses that have been conducted through its e-mail
infrastructure..

When the document is printed or used on the recipient's equipment,
it may lose styles or formats due to software incompatibility.
This version was created using Microsoft Office Suite. If you have different
software, editing the document may corrupt it.

Opinions expressed in this e-mail message and any attachments are
those of the originator and are not necessarily the opinions of
Kangan Batman TAFE.

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential
and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
e-mail message is prohibited. If you have received this message in
error please notify the person sending this message or by e-mail the
suppor...@kangan.edu.au or telephone +61 3 9279 2200 and destroy the
May 11, 2004, 6:04:57 AM5/11/04
Thanks for the replies. So far, looks like AVI with either Indeo or DivX
is what people are using for this sort of app.

Anyone using anything else (or are there any to steer clear of!)?

Cheers

Simon

BRYAN MASON

May 11, 2004, 9:08:58 AM5/11/04
One caution about DivX. Your end users must have the DivX CODEC installed on
their machines in order to view the video. Individual users can download the
CODEC for personal use, but when you're in a corporate environment, it's not
free. I would definitely review the licensing restrictions before you
proceed along these lines. Don't get me wrong, DivX does a great job of
producing an AVI file that is of small file size, but good quality. Just be
careful about the licensing.

My $ 0.02

Bryan

duong...@gmail.com

May 26, 2014, 2:18:56 AM5/26/14

Hi Bryan,

This is Kenny from Kangan Institute (former known as Kangan Batman TAFE). Max Richings has retired and we lost contact with him, so we have zero knowledge of the license status of his Toolbook software. Our teachers really need the software installed on many more computers but we are nervous of any new installation as we don't know if this would violate any license restriction. We would highly appreciate if you could help us out.

Thanks,
Kenny

duong...@gmail.com

May 26, 2014, 2:52:21 AM5/26/14