Windows GDI problem

Ronen Zivli

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Sometimes i get the message "Not enough Windows GDI memory for this
operation".

I have two questions regarding this message:
1. does the toolbook send this message or Windows?
2. Can i know before the message appears that it goes to happened? if yes
how?
3. What can be done to avoid the situation?

Thanks a lot,
Ronen.
-------------------------------------
E-mail: rone...@mail.netvision.net.il
Date: 21/1/97
Time: 10:51:14 AM

This message was sent by Chameleon
-------------------------------------

Arnaud Lacaze-Masmonteil

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Ronen,
Some questions to your questions :
- what version of Toolbook do you use ? I faced sometimes this message
with the 3.0, but far less with the 4.0.
- what kind of images, and in which amount, do you display ?

some answers
1) To my humble opinion, its a Toolbook message.
2) You can control call the user.dll to get the GDI memory level (in
percentage).
Ask more if you need some code.
3) reduce the objects number of size. Buy some VRAM ?

--
Arnaud Lacaze-Masmonteil
InfoTronique SARL

ilpo Latvala

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Ronen Zivli wrote:
> I have two questions regarding this message:
> 1. does the toolbook send this message or Windows?
> 2. Can i know before the message appears that it goes to happened? if yes how?
> 3. What can be done to avoid the situation?

1. I think Windows does
2. I use the following script to detect my GDI resources (for example in
my enterpage handler)

linkDLL "USER"
WORD GetFreeSystemResources(WORD)
end
put GetFreeSystemResources(1) & "%" into commandwindow
unlinkDLL "USER"

if some page takes up a lot of GDI resources and those resources are not
released. Then you
know which pages have problems.

3. You might have some corrupted graphics on some pages. Use the script
above to find those pages
and delete the corrupted graphics. You can try to replace the deleted
graphics with something new.

-hope this helped

-Ilpo-

Ronald Cawood

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

----------
> From: Arnaud Lacaze-Masmonteil <infotr...@INFOTRONIQUE.FR>
> To: TOO...@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
> Subject: Re: Windows GDI problem
> Date: Tuesday, January 21, 1997 6:33 AM

> Ronen Zivli wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sometimes i get the message "Not enough Windows GDI memory for this
> > operation".
> >
> > I have two questions regarding this message:
> > 1. does the toolbook send this message or Windows?
> > 2. Can i know before the message appears that it goes to happened? if
yes
> > how?
> > 3. What can be done to avoid the situation?

Ronen,

We had the same problem when we used to use Ver 3.0 and I'll bet that's
what you have. It wasn't a small problem (we were going to switch
development programs). Our programs are very graphic intensive and I think
that had a lot to do with it.
Version 4 took care of that in our case. (we may have updated Windows at
that time too).
There are several programs (Shareware Included that have system monitors in
them. We use to run these and flip through the book. You will notice a
page or maybe a background that has a large affect on GDI.

Try going through your book and look for any pages or background that are
at Zero %. Have you ever done this? We once had a book that had 232
objects beyond the 0%. This seems to affect GDI. We never got a good
answer on this, but that was the first thing we checked with ver 4.

What ver of Windows are you using? As I remember this also had a large
affect. The later the better.

Don't give up this can now be Whipped!

Ron Cawood
The CaHill Company

G Pearson

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

At 12:33 PM 1/21/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Ronen Zivli wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sometimes i get the message "Not enough Windows GDI memory for this
>> operation".

>> 3. What can be done to avoid the situation?

I think this can happen when you call another book(s) & don't close the
calling book.

May also be worth looking at your graphics drivers particularly if you are
using Win 3.1. Try changing to the standard VGA driver & see if the problem
goes away.

Geoff Pearson
I.Q. Tech.

Wim van der Vegt

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

If you're running win31 try to free up some memory below the 640K barrier.
Part of the GDI memory is allocated there if my momory is correct..

-------
mvg Wim van der Vegt / Open universiteit

> > Ronen Zivli wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Sometimes i get the message "Not enough Windows GDI memory for this
> > > operation".
> > >

> > > I have two questions regarding this message:
> > > 1. does the toolbook send this message or Windows?
> > > 2. Can i know before the message appears that it goes to happened? if
> yes
> > > how?

> > > 3. What can be done to avoid the situation?
> > >

> > > Thanks a lot,
> > > Ronen.

virg...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 1:50:42 AM4/18/18
On Tuesday, January 21, 1997 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+8, Ronen Zivli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes i get the message "Not enough Windows GDI memory for this
> operation".
>
> I have two questions regarding this message:
> 1. does the toolbook send this message or Windows?
> 2. Can i know before the message appears that it goes to happened? if yes
> how?
> 3. What can be done to avoid the situation?
>

> Thanks a lot,
> Ronen.
> -------------------------------------
> E-mail: rone...@mail.netvision.net.il
> Date: 21/1/97
> Time: 10:51:14 AM
>
> This message was sent by Chameleon
> -------------------------------------

Does anyone still have this problem?

Denny, I expect a free upgrade for this .. I have been bugging the tbk list and tbk tech support since 2009, when Vista appeared and suddenly one of our most popular programs started crashing everywhere on one page, that used a lot of scripted drag and drop of objects drawn transparently. After a couple of repeats of the activity, the objects would revert to primitives, and shortly thereafter TBK would crash with a GDI error. Explosive and utterly predictable. But no solution in sight.

I believe I have finally found the culprit - in Win deciding to manage memory for us, so that a call to USER.dll to free resources no longer worked. So now I find this:

linkDLL "Kernel32.dll"
INT FreeResource(LONG)
end

winH=clientHandle of mainWindow
unlinkDLL "Kernel32.dll"

And OMG, it works! After all the years....

Dr Virginia Westwood
proteatextware.com

virg...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 2:06:12 AM4/18/18
OOps - it won't work like that!! Took my notification out and forgot to put in the function call again... try this:

linkDLL "Kernel32.dll"
INT FreeResource(LONG)
end
get FreeResource(winH)
winH=clientHandle of mainWindow
unlinkDLL "Kernel32.dll"

Cheers, Virginia

virg...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 3:11:01 AM4/18/18
As you can see, I am overcome by excitement at solving this 9 year old issue.. TRY THIS: