back from the real world

Dillon Carter

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Kristina,
glad to hear that the nursing world is just as crazy as I already thought
it would be. Do you work 12 hour shifts or 8? I will be graduating in
May; and I'm scared to start working. The only experience I have is
clinical. I worked in a plant for the last ten years. I've decided not to
work this last year of school. I hope I am able to find a job without the
experience. I'm interested in Home Health Care, but I am afraid that it
requires experience. Hopefully I will find something.
Good luck,
Pam C.

----------
> From: Bruce & Kristina Sackett <bsac...@POND.NET>
> To: SNUR...@LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
> Subject: back from the real world
> Date: Thursday, September 10, 1998 7:06 PM
>
> Hi y'all
> Well I have been a successfully employed RN on a progressive
Cardiac floor
> for 2 and a half months, on night shift. I have now joined the ranks of
> those who have no life due to eternal sleep depravation. Many nights I
have
> wanted to scream ( usually at the Dr who thinks I wake him up at 3am for
> kicks instead of a "real" patient concern) I went to school for this?
> However my patients are who I am there for and for the most part the are
> worth the effort. (occasionally the ones who use the call light to have a
> sheet lifted off of their hand, or complain they aren't sleeping when
they
> snored through the BP 10 min. earlier leave something to be desired in my
> night) Hospital politics is always fun. The between shift rivalry can be
> annoying. I have felt like my night shift job description is cleaning up
> everything that was ignored or not completed by the other shifts. Overall
> am enjoying the work. I could write a novel of what they never taught me
in
> nursing school. We have vasoactive drips on our floor which can make for
> fun night with 7 patients, but the rest of the folks on my shift are
really
> good people and we all help each other out when one is swamped.
> I haven't been reading my e-mail so I have a ton of catching up
to do with
> everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying jobs or back to school.
> Kristina
>
> Bruce & Kristina Sackett
> bsac...@pond.net
> http://fp.pond.net/bsackett

Bruce & Kristina Sackett

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
I work 8 hour shifts but on nights they feel like 12:)

rf...@my.tamuct.edu

Mar 3, 2016, 8:26:28 PM3/3/16
On Saturday, September 12, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Dillon Carter wrote:
> Kristina,
> glad to hear that the nursing world is just as crazy as I already thought
> it would be. Do you work 12 hour shifts or 8? I will be graduating in
> May; and I'm scared to start working. The only experience I have is
> clinical. I worked in a plant for the last ten years. I've decided not to
> work this last year of school. I hope I am able to find a job without the
> experience. I'm interested in Home Health Care, but I am afraid that it
> requires experience. Hopefully I will find something.
> Good luck,
> Pam C.

Home health care is a rewarding field, but most companies require that you have at least 1 year experience first. This is due to the fact that you are on your own and have to make nursing decisions without anyone to collaborate with.