The tube:-)

Kate

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
Ania, HOw does the learner know what to select from the database?
I thought the metalanguage looked quite daunting in your examples.
My students are not linguists and do not aspire to becoming grammarians
either! :-) How is this "gap" handled in the approach? Kate
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Kate wrote:

> I guess it would be important to talk
> about what qualifies, exactly as this wonderful tube/filter. . .
> it seems partly to be the categories themselves that allow the
> learner to assemble a "lesson" of authentic material?

well, what qualifies, in our view, would be anything that allows learners
to grapple with the problems they experience in real life. Now, of course,
the problems they experience is not necessarily reduced to what they think
but also entails that which the man with the tube tells them, like: "No
Andrew, wrong!" Or, "Andrew, what makes you say this? Have you seen the
following? How do you position yourself against blah"....

So, we would say, that that bridge is in the conditions which we create in
order to bring real-life to the educational environment/institution. They
will range from making it possible for people to listen to specific texts
by clicking where they want (a rather old CALL-trick), through eletronic
manipulation of sounds, to the conditions in which they have to take
decisions which will affect their, simulated (?) lives, like in the
macrosimulation: an old paper but Andrew promised to put it just under The
Shaolin on his site. Imagination can run free here but, as we agree, it
cannot run in a way which is not thought through. All facilitaies and
programs we have developed are about faciliatting a better acces to
discovery of the ways in which things in the TL relate. There is no way of
telling how. All we have are models of production, not perception.

am going back to my learner-strategy-training
best wishes,
Ania