Authentic texts and technology (was Re: SLA,teaching and the Shaolin paper)

1 view

Ronald Sheen

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
Bob Yates says:

>I learned both of my "second" languages as second/not foreign languages.
>None of what I am doing is "hard work" although it is work.

**But if I remember rightly when I met Bob for the one and only time, he
told me that he learned both languages from his wives which, if correct, is
not the typical way our students learn their languages

Bob adds:

>The net will provide me, and other like me, with a way to maintain my
>proficiency in other languages much more easily than in the past.

**Certainly true, but I was wondering more about the internet's role in
enabling students to reach acceptable proficiency levels in the first place

Bob then concludes

>It is too early to tell what the final impact on second language
>learning will be. My belief now is that it will be very, very positive.

If this proves to be the case, it will be truly astonishing. However, as
my favourite, Bob Dylan sings "Only time will tell who has fell (sic) and
who's been left behind" we'll have to wait a decade or so to find out.
However, I'm prepared to open a book offering evens that there will
ultimately be little to no effect on general school/college proficiency
levels caused by the internet. The only reservation I have is caused by my
thinking about the possibilities for keypal internet correspondence but
what the hell, I'll still offer evens.

Any takers?

Ron Sheen U of Quebec in Trois Rivieres, Canada.